• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Case hardening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMan

Blunderbuss
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have an original Springfield lock that was originally case hardened but has been blued at some point over top of the case hardening. Is there a way to remove the hot bluing without removing the color case hardening underneath it? I know vinegar will remove blueing and fake case hardening. Not sure about whether it will remove real case hardening or not. The case hardening may have been polished prior to bluing it but I’m curious to see if it’s still there under the bluing.

Last edited:
The answer is NO.

Bluing is an oxide.

Color case hardening color is an oxide.

Below is an 1861 lock plate. The shiny part is bluing and rust remover.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The case hardening is still there, the colors are gone and can not be seen agin. To get it back invokes annealing the parts then polish as required and color case hardening with wood and bone char coal.

Back