• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carving a stock which has been fully finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's the worst that can happen?
Totally verbotten?
I am practicing and I am not yet near wanting to cut on my otherwise not so badly assembled Kibler Colonial.
I want to put the finish on wood and metal. Hopefully in the future with lots more practice I will carve up the rifle.

It is your rifle. Do whatever you like. However, it would be better to finish this one then sell it later in order to assemble and carve the next one.

I carved an english walnut stock a few weeks after applying finish. The wood was very dry and chippy and the finish helped tremendously. So I say it depends on what kind of wood. Walnut and cherry some finish soaked in will likely make carving easier ...maple you'll have to be careful with stain matching and so forth....I've found bone blank is helpful in blending in some spots.

I guess it would depend on the original finish. If it was just BLO, then I think you might get away with cutting into the finished piece and then reapply BLO to the reworked area.
If it is varnished, you will have to remove the old varnish and refinish the piece altogether. Otherwise your gonna get witness marks between the old and new finishes.

Back