• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying shot, circa 1770

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pichou: Could the "cartridges" have been something akin to the Eley wired cup shot charges of the late flint era -- shot packed in bone dust and wrapped in paper, then in loose wire mesh? Or would the cartridges more likely have been similar to the paper cartridges issued to troops in the revolution, the ball secured on one end and the powder charge wrapped in the other?

Can't tell. There are muskets and bayonets in the inventory. Don't remember if there are cartridges... I would have to read through again. I have seen cartridge paper in other FT inventories.

Swan shot was round so it would pour as well as any other shot if the hole in the flask was large enough.

I have seen original shot horns. You can tell them from powder horns, cause they have bigger openings... and shot still in 'em. :haha:

any markings on those "Original shot horns" to indicate their age?? The post asked about how shot was carried in 1770. Just curious.

No markings. Just an observation. And Edy is 1772, so OT I guess. :surrender: :rotf:

"EDY"???? What is that?? I looked back and saw you mentioned an " Eley" system , but what is an "EDY"???

I think 1772 is close enough to the topic to offend no one. There are so little surviving examples of any of this kind of thing, that anything with a date on it before the Am. Revolution has to be enlightening. Just MHO.

A few years ago I bid on one of two collections of 18th/19th century German powder horns. Got the one I bid on. The other had a small plain horn that still had shot in it!

I also have a photo of a German shot bag. It's basically the same as the common ball bag. Just longer. Soft leather bag with a horn spout and wood plug. I rarely shoot shot, but I put my shot in a ball bag and it works fine. :wink:

This is all pretend based on few facts. So why not just pretend you are a rich trapper. That way you can use a shot valve which is very handy and
works better than a bag and scoop made from an old pipe. :hmm:

Just shoot me now.

4.gif

I find pouring the shot from anyone of my shot horns or flasks into my antler powder/shot measure to be a pretty fluid and easy thing to do, when I am useing wasp nest for wadding I am not going to win any speed contests anyway.

Back