• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Concealed Blackpowder Handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.
This Topic was first posted back on Dec. 5, 2005 and seemed to die shortly after that (Dec 17, 2005).

It was brought to the forefront on Feb 14, 2011 by Capn D who hasn't responded to it since.

Zonie said:
Yup.
This Topic was first posted back on Dec. 5, 2005 and seemed to die shortly after that (Dec 17, 2005).

It was brought to the forefront on Feb 14, 2011 by Capn D who hasn't responded to it since.

Lets hang him. I'll get the rope.

Oh, I don't know if there are winners to a gun fight, but there ARE losers...those who die, and those who should have avoided shooting at all...

Wet Willie said:
But this is a BP forum, so keep in mind the lethality of C&B revolvers was mainly the gunshot's uncontrolled infection which took its toll after some days, rather than instant knock-down. President Lincoln lived for perhaps a day after being shot in the head with a C&B pistol.

That ain't nothing . . . ask Gabriella Giffords . . .

The way I took the OP's "cool" was that it would be cool if somebody carried a bp gun because they had sufficient practice with it, and was proficient enough to feel competent with it.

I have a Rem 44 replica, I would not want to be shot at with it!

However, I do not carry it concealed . . .

123.DieselBenz said:
Me either, but that's not the point.

I wouldn't want to be poked in the eye with a pencil, but I wouldn't carry one for self defense either. :wink:

Jack Wilson said:
123.DieselBenz said:
Me either, but that's not the point.

I wouldn't want to be poked in the eye with a pencil, but I wouldn't carry one for self defense either. :wink:
:rotf: Yer killin' me!

Being 'proficient' with a C&B still puts you at a tremendous disadvantage against a Glock. I don't care how good you are.
It's better than the pencil, but... :idunno:

CaptainKirk said:
Being 'proficient' with a C&B still puts you at a tremendous disadvantage against a Glock. I don't care how good you are.

You're only at a disadvantage after the first shot.

Make it count.

Perhaps but after he has fired his first shot he is still standing there for all the world to see.

You, on the other hand after firing your first shot are rapidly disappearing in a heavy cloud of camouflage smoke to mask your outline. :rotf:

CaptainKirk said:

Not necessarily . . . have you seen how some of those guys can miss the target faster than they can empty there plastic guns? :grin:

Not everybody that has a gun, modern or not is "proficient" with it, most gun owners buy enough ammo to shoot 20 -50 rounds a year, and consider that a lot of shooting . . .

We see many people here that are willing to take a muzzleloader hunting, but understand that it also needs to be a lot of practicing (which is fun BTW!) to be "proficient" I remember reading in the hunting section of I think it was greenmtboy that was stalking a LARGE Mt lion . . . they got some big teeth, was he crazy? sure he could have gotten out some modern magnum and shoot at it from 500 yards . . . :blah: Some people take pride in their skill that they have worked hard on perfecting.

Earlier in this thread we saw that Lemat has a trimmed down revolver, I'm sure that was not done just to see if it could be done!

Nowadays lots of people think they need multiple shots, like having a truck load of ammo to back them up for poor marksmanship . . . what ever happened to you guys saying "one shot kills"? Should it matter if it is a deer or a bad guy?

Only hits count! :blah:

Well, unless you get a perfect brain or heart shot, yeah, it matters. Deer can't shoot back. Cap & ball revolvers are obviously lethal, but they're just not as effective as modern CF weapons. And since the legal penalty for using one would potentially be every bit as stiff as using a Glock, (except for that pesky killed-by-your-opponent thing), why handicap yourself by using an old technology?

The great majority of all gunshot victims survive. Those that die generally do so because of blood loss. That means there's time for a shot man to squeeze off a couple of rounds at you. Who wants to risk that?

Following this line of thinking, why not carry a flintlock pistol? Or a matchlock? Or a bow & arrow? Granted, these will all kill a man, but why would you use less than is available in a life and death situation?

Oh you mean like this:
[youtube]QeA5ow7cS1c[/youtube]

I imaging that guy would not have minded being able to carry a bp handgun . . .

How about the MT lion, I know they don't shoot back, but still could eat you, more than one person has been eaten by a bear also . . .

Remember:
123.DieselBenz said:
Only hits count! :blah:

I prefer to carry an unmentionable . . . much smaller . . . but if someone is comfortable and is able to conceal a bp handgun, more power to them!

Whoa! 6 yrs and 5 pages later- and I thought the martial arts forums were bad for this kind of topic!!! :rotf:

That said, I can't resist...

First off, I don't care how much training you have had or what hardware you carry, nothing will make you invincable. All the best of any and/or everything will do is improve your chances of surviving a bad situation. That said, get the best you can and practice yer darn bohunkus off with it! And I don't mean the best BP firearm either! (1911 is my choice, ramped and ported but NOT rebushed).

Next, consider your carry- everyone says go to the range, and that is great advice. But you need to also practice your carry and draw so that you can reliably deploy the fiream under the worst possible circumstances. And that means paracticing under as extreme circumstances as you and your most demented friend(s) can devise!

Most confrontations occur at less than 25 feet. Have a friend charge you fron 25 feet and see if you can outdraw his charge. You need to learn how to deploy while protecting the weapon and your draw while he slams into you (assuming you are seriouse and not just playing "cool").

Many people are shot after their own fiream is taken from them. I've practiced, and can fairly reliably disarm a long gun or a pistol in close. But even a novice can have a surprising advantage in getting hold of your gun before you can fire, at which point you are obviously in seriouse trouble.

Last, consider that just having a weapon on you automatically raises the ante in any confrontation. What might ordinarily be just a shoving match now has the possibility of getting real seriouse real quick. If it is just seen, it may be enough; but if the gun gets loose, the stakes are now much higher! And yes, every bullet DOES have a lawyer attached to it. It is the world we live in now, and much as we may yearn for the days when things were simpler, they ain't.

I have carried concealed, had to draw (but never fire, thankfully) and at least once it probably saved my life. So I would not tell anyone not to carry. I would advise you give seriouse thought to whether you actually need to carry. If you decide you do, then get the best firearm and carry system you can, with emphasis on your being able to use both, and practice like your life depends on it.

If you are not willing to do that, then, well, buckskins and smoke look cool, so why bother with hiding yer BP firearms under yer coat?

Dan (long winded and opinionated) C

Edit: by the way, it has been many years since I carried for self defense, concealed or otherwise. So, I do follow my own advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back