• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Concealed Blackpowder Handguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
airmansteve said:
I was recently considering taking a concealed pistol class. I was going to use my C&B revolver to complete the class for a couple reasons: 1) it is currently the only pistol I have 2) It would be relatively cheap to shoot for qualifying. Other than that, no, unless it was all I had at the time.

Steve,

In my purview as a NRA Instructor I have been taught that CCW Students need a centerfire sidearm. Personal Protection Outside The Home is a popular NRA Course. Several States require some sort of training like this to be granted a permit to carry concealed. So stop right there, see if your State requires a hand gun permit to purchase your second hand gun, then apply for said permit if need be. Then go shopping for something that you'll be comfortable with, keeping in mind that you should shoot this gun quite often (spend the money on ammo!)just to get used to it PRIOR to depending upon it to save your life or that of someone else. And before you buy it, check with the Instructor that you've selected (that's rated to teach said course and has insurance) to see which hand guns are even allowed to be carried in your State, and what he/she requires in order for you to come to the class to begin with.

In short, carrying a concealed hand gun isn't cheap, and shouldn't ever be decided upon by expense issues, cause after-all, what's your life worth? Practice is the key to developing the skills required to defend yourself should you have to. To even go down the road that this thread is about is pure folly, and may be the result of the thinking of folks who can't pass a criminal background check or think that they can hide under the radar while carrying a firearm on their person. The former probably shouldn't have guns and the latter are kidding themselves, God forbid they actually have to use said piece in front of multiple video cameras in stores or on the streets.

I'm an Expert black powder revolver shooter. Fired thousands of balls in my lifetime. But a .357 for two-legged miscreants and a .44 Mag for four legged predators in the woods does one much better!

Dave

Russian Bullmoose Man said:
I was just wondering about the law concerning carrying a concealed handguns, and ask the question does anyone carry a blackpowder weapon? Instead of a new style gun. :thumbsup: I think that would be cool.

"the law" in this country with regard to concealed carry is usually state specific, generally speaking each state has its own CCW laws even though some are recognized by and or reciprocal with others

my question for you is, if its concealed how in the heck does you expect anyone even going to know youre cool, I mean in TX we cant brandish display let someone fondle our CCW in public or allow it to print through our sleeveless T-shirt or The Man says it aint concealed

:applause: and waits for thread to hit 4 pages, notice I didnt bring up any of those non traditional arms or try to turn this forum into one of those forums about non-traditional arms! yee haa...

Man that'd really slow the class down too, waiting for him to reload, we have to shoot 175 rds to qualify! he'd be there all night unless hes "an Expert" :rotf:

"I'm an Expert black powder revolver shooter. Fired thousands of balls in my lifetime. But a .357 for two-legged miscreants and a .44 Mag for four legged predators in the woods does one much better!

Dave"

True, but hunting with a ML, and carrying a .44 mag seems wrong. :hmm:

Might as well hunt with a CF too. :idunno:

I am absolutely amazed at how often this subject comes up, and how long these threads persist.

The short answer has already been answered: Yes, you need a concealed carry permit. The rules regarding cc permits vary wildly from state to state.

As far as carrying one or using one for self-defense:

When I hunt with a bow, I'm purposely handicapping myself.

When I hunt with my hawk or falcon, I purposely handicap myself.

When I hunt with a BP gun, I purposely handicap myself.

When some person is attempting to kill me or my family, I will never handicap myself purposely. To do so would be pure stupidity.

And if a person thinks that he can match a modern semiautomatic or even a revolver with his BP gun, he is sadly mistaken and deceived.

No one and I mean no one could even make it through my yearly qualifications with a BP gun.

signed

another law enforcement officer

You don't have to match a modern gun. You just need to be faster, and a better shot.

Bad guys usually don't have much training.

This topic reminded me of an incident over thirty years ago, and the looks I got when the Houston police arrived. I had cleared my brothers house after being called on a burglar. I was carrying a Navy Arms 1861. HPD didn't take the revolver very seriously.
But, what the hey, I didn't take them very seriously after having traveled there and done their job before they arrived.

The former probably shouldn't have guns

There are far more people than you realize in this country that are denied the right to possess or carry a firearm because of a felony conviction.

The way the laws work now days, you can get a felony conviction over something that you never even realized was considered a crime, much less a felony.

I hear all the time people saying "Don't commit a crime and you don't have anything to worry about." I only wish that were true. You do things everyday that if a cop saw you do it, and wanted to pursue it, would get you a felony conviction. Have a restraining order put on you by a vindictive wife,ex wife, or girlfriend, and in many states you lose the right to possess a firearm. In many states, if you defend yourself instead of running away you are looking at a felony conviction. The list of things that will cause you to lose the right to arms is long, and getting longer everyday.

Capper said:
"I'm an Expert black powder revolver shooter. Fired thousands of balls in my lifetime. But a .357 for two-legged miscreants and a .44 Mag for four legged predators in the woods does one much better!

Dave"

True, but hunting with a ML, and carrying a .44 mag seems wrong. :hmm:

Might as well hunt with a CF too. :idunno:

This might just blow your mind Pete, but I do in fact hunt with CF arms as well as percussion. I enjoy both, and depending upon several factors, switch back & forth at will, able to enjoy them all! No, I don't use them both at the same outing, but since I'm a decent shot with most arms, I'm able to cater my hunt to suit my needs.

But that isn't the point. The point is concealed carry of black powder hand guns, to be utilized out in the open to defend one's self or family, not what to carry while hunting with a BP long arm.

And after you pull or brandish the C&B revolver, or shoot someone, the cops won't stop and say to themselves, "Gee, he's only got a Cap & Ball", for it will be considered a deadly weapon concealed upon your person, thereby making you just as guilty of carrying a concealed hand gun as the guy with the high-cap 9 or the 1911, SO WHAT'S THE POINT????

Once again, the premise is mere folly.......

Dave

Golfswithwolves said:
Inasmuch as cap&ball revolvers were used as self-defense weapons in my neck of the woods during during the pioneer days, it would seem that they were effective. Wild Bill insisted on his Colt Navies even though cartridge revolvers became available to him. I don't think that a person is poorly armed with such revolvers but modern ones make much more sense these days for reasons of convenience. But as has been pointed out, it is poor practice to carry a gun in order to be "cool" :youcrazy: , weapons and lives require much more respect than that.
Wild Bill stayed with his cap and ball 1851s because early cartridges werent as reliable as the cap and balls revolvers.

Keith T said:
When some person is attempting to kill me or my family, I will never handicap myself purposely. To do so would be pure stupidity.

And if a person thinks that he can match a modern semiautomatic or even a revolver with his BP gun, he is sadly mistaken and deceived.
:thumbsup: I couldn't agree more. I think some guys have fantasies about self defense. Too many movies perhaps?

Well, I made it 68 years without carrying a gun.

I live in a small town of 2200 with no crime.

I'm not worried.

Actually, I am worried when I hunt. I worry about some out of sate hunter who can't tell me from an elk. :shocked2:

btw..Claude......Don't tell me the movies aren't real?

Last edited by a moderator:
capt_turk said:
The former probably shouldn't have guns

There are far more people than you realize in this country that are denied the right to possess or carry a firearm because of a felony conviction.

The way the laws work now days, you can get a felony conviction over something that you never even realized was considered a crime, much less a felony.

I hear all the time people saying "Don't commit a crime and you don't have anything to worry about." I only wish that were true. You do things everyday that if a cop saw you do it, and wanted to pursue it, would get you a felony conviction. Have a restraining order put on you by a vindictive wife,ex wife, or girlfriend, and in many states you lose the right to possess a firearm. In many states, if you defend yourself instead of running away you are looking at a felony conviction. The list of things that will cause you to lose the right to arms is long, and getting longer everyday.

And longer. Plum amazin' aint it?

The United States has more people incarcerated than any other country in the world. If certain people had their way. there would be many, many more behind bars.

Capper said:
To the thread in general.

I carry an 1860 Colt .44 in the mountains when hiking. Just in case I run into an animal that wants me for lunch.

I'm sure a human would be much easier to handle.

Watch a CAS event to see how fast it can be fired.

A can of bear spray is far more effective, safer and a bunch lighter to carry on your belt hiking all day FWIW.

I have to agree I don't understand carrying a cap/ball gun when you can a modern gun. I'm not going to handy cap myself when my or my familys lives are at stake.

paulvallandigham said:
The laws on carrying handguns vary from State to State. Whether any B P handgun is required to be licensed- to own or carry-- also depends on State law. Check your own state for the answer you seek.

Just a general question Paul. I have no desire or need to carry a concealed weapon.

I can carry a hand gun in the mountains with no permit as long as it's exposed. Actually, I could carry it in town too, but it might freak out some people. :shocked2:

For those who think a single action revolver is too slow to be effective against a modern gun.

All it takes is practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnu4P0Y-JAk

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if your state does not consider muzzleloaders as being firearms that does not mean you can carry one concealed without a permit. Even a knife, a blackjack or brass knucks can get you charged for carrying a concealed weapon. So if a ML derringer requires the same permit as a Glock and will get you into the same trouble without a permit, why not carry the Glock?

CoyoteJoe said:
Even if your state does not consider muzzleloaders as being firearms that does not mean you can carry one concealed without a permit. Even a knife, a blackjack or brass knucks can get you charged for carrying a concealed weapon. So if a ML derringer requires the same permit as a Glock and will get you into the same trouble without a permit, why not carry the Glock?

That's one of the points I just made a day or so ago! You & I are on the same page! That's why the premise is mere folly!

After you get caught brandishing your BP revolver, it's easy to just tell the Cops that it's just a C&B! :nono: :shake: :shocked2: :youcrazy: as they take you away.....

In Jersey (without a CCW) I'd be guilty of 1. Carrying a concealed weapon. 2. Carrying a deadly weapon (a felony). 3. Brandishing a weapon. 4. And the NJ hollow-point law whereby they tack-on some extra time cause you were using hollow points illegally (merely in your possession in your car, for instance) in the commission of a felony (carrying the thing to begin with).

Lots of time to think about how stupid you were in thinking that a fully loaded reproduction firing replica isn't a gun :rotf: :blah: :youcrazy: :nono: :shake: :shocked2: .

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back