• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps falling into mechanism

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I never liked about that approach though is the purposeful disabling of a safety system engineered into the revolver so that all six chambers could be carried while charged.
As others have stated, there did not seem to be a cap sucking issue with first generation guns.

Goon fit a post to a few of mine that holds the spent cap on the cone

What he does to the action is a joy to behold

Kansas Jake said:
One thing I do is when I cock the pistol (1860 Colt replica) is tilt the pistol a little to the right as I cock it. Maybe 30 degrees. If the spent cap falls loose as many of them do it is less likely to drop down into the action. There have been several other threads here giving other modifications people do to the Colts especially to help prevent the problem. You may not want to do that to a 2nd generation as most folks were modifying replicas.

I too rotate the gun to the right but full over about 90*, very rarely have a cap jamb.

Further update, I replaced the Tresco nipples with the Pietta factory nipples and fired 36 shots using 38 grains of 2fg with both round ball and 220 grain Lee bullets. And again no cap jams at all. I was surprised by this even though Duelist1954 does the same thing in his video. I thought for sure those warthog bullet loads would blow the caps apart and jam them, but no, all functioned flawlessly. I think I just saved myself $36 plus shipping on a set of Slixshot nipples.

Back