• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capote Coat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

What size HBC (# of points) blanket is required to make a capote with hood for the average adult male ?
Thanks for your help.

Rick

2 1/2 to 4 point depending on the size you consider average. That said, many of the "Mountain Man" capotes you see advertised are Reservation Era (1880-90s) - distinguished by a boxy profile (1-piece body), fringe and pointy elf hood. Sometimes, it is easier to buy wool material (blanket-weight, I've seen Melton or Duffel mentioned) and make a tailored coat as would have been most common in the period. Personally, an HBC blanket is more useful in its original form.

All that said, I see a Great-coat as a better choice...

I have one available in the classifieds, believe it is a four point...

However no way would I cut a real HB blanket up for a capote. The one I made is from a old trappers point blanket.

Today’s HBC are softer woven then historic blankets that while thick was more corse. A modren HBC is a little more insulating but not as wind proof and rain proof asold blankets. Old capotes tended to be made from blanketing and not blankets and tended to be fitted.
Should you get some thick woolen blanketing and taylor a hooded capote you can fit it with a wool lining and it’s much warmer.
If you just want to use a HBC or similar blanket you can use it as a match coat. A blanket just wrapped on and pinned. Then your coat fills three job, coat,blanket and good looking.

You asked size, but I'll divert a bit by sharing my experience. When I decided to make a couple capote I was 'told by someone' (we now know "someone" at an event is often far from the best to give advice. Oh, well.) that a Whitney blanket was the same as HB just less cost. So, we got a couple Whitney's. Nice blankets and made into nice looking capote. But, BIG BUT, they are not the same. The Whitney will keep you warm as long as there is no wind. But even a gently breeze on a cold day will go through that wool and make ye feel like ye are nekkid. Spend the extra money to get a thicker, and warmer blanket.

I would also suggest that one not get a HB blanket for your first go at sewing a capote. A good analogy is the oft repeated one here of turning $600 worth of gun parts into a $300 gun.

To reiterate Rifleman 1776's comment though, there is a difference between Hudson Bays and the others. I have both that we use as blankets in the house.

Latest posts

Back