• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canvas bucket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgs113

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just won a canvas bucket at a blanket shoot a few weeks ago. Filled it up with water today and it seems to leak pretty good at the seams. What can I do to slow down the leakage?
Thanks.
kgs113

Melt some beeswax and paint the inside seams good. Let it soak in as much as you can. My opinion only. There may be a better solution, but this one comes to mind and is non-toxic.

Canvas buckets tend to leak - sometimes will stop or atleast slow down once they are soaked good. You may have to coat with canvax or thompsons sealer as wax or parafin will crack. Hang buckets upside down to dry.
hope this helps, Wart

kgs113 said:
Just won a canvas bucket at a blanket shoot a few weeks ago. Filled it up with water today and it seems to leak pretty good at the seams. What can I do to slow down the leakage?
Thanks.
kgs113

Use it in the dead of winter, the water will freeze and the dripping will come to a screeching halt.... :grin: (just kidding)

Seriously though, I would use something non-toxic if you could find it, however, if it is not going to be used for drinking water, then seal it with any canvas waterproofing substance you choose...

Another option (if the canvas is, or can be made two ply) sew in a flexible plastic bladder between the inner and outer layers of canvas, this will prevent leaks and still retain the "all canvas" look...

Get on the web and look up Nikwax. It comes in three grades fo leather,cloth, and anything with both. It is non-toxic.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Get on the web and look up Nikwax. It comes in three grades fo leather,cloth, and anything with both. It is non-toxic.

Thanks, I will add this to our suppliers links...
[url] http://www.nikwax-usa.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dicks Sporting Goods stocks a spray on seam sealer and waterproofer made by Texsport that is excellent for small jobs like this.

Thanks for all the help. I live in the same area where Dicks got its start. I remember looking at used guns and buying worms from the cooler there.

If it's new, I'd try shrinking it before I put Thompson's water seal on it. Nasty chemicals... Hot water and drying it aught to shrink the weave and tighten the seams some. Don't use soap on it though. That'll just make it leak more. These things won't ever be waterproof. They're made for quick transport not water storage.

Sean

If my wife finds out I put three waterbuckets through the washer and dryer I am, indeed, a dead man!
:shake: :shake:
And I am married to a dedicated reenactor!

I have several of those and they all leaked to a degree. One I did put a plastic bladder in it, but now that one isn't collapsable. The other I used a product called 'Drizabone'. It's a wax like stuff that you heat and rub into oil skin cloth like the Aussie droverc coats to make them waterproof. I originally bought this to make a waterproof trekking tarp instead of using flammable linseed oil because this Drizabone isn't highly flammable. So far, I haven't noticed any leaks from the bucket, but I think it will have to be applied every so often to keep the bucket from leaking.
Ohio Rusty

I have a set of canvas buckets that are lined with nylon ripstop fabric. They hold water marvelously and look authentic from the outside. There's no foul taste after the first few rinses.
Regards

Latest posts

Back