• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't Reinstall Cylinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallsOnFire

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought my first cap and ball revolver, a Remington 1858 replica by Uberti. After putting it on half cock, dropping the ram and pulling the pin, the cylinder dropped out to the right side with no difficulty. So, now, of course, I can't figure out how to reinstall the cylinder with out pushing the, "hand" back into the frame with the tip of a small pocket knife blade. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before buying this gun and recall seeing one that mentioned something about this situation but now I can't find any videos about it. Not being the sharpest tool in the shed I know it is probably me and not a gun problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks! :doh:

Put the hammer down and cock to half. Look at back of frame inside cylinder area. The hand that rotated the cylinder is probably sticking out some. Roll the cylinder as you insert it so the rotation pushed the hand back against its spring. There will be a little resistance as the cylinder pushes it.

Yep I have not handled one in a while but I remember them being problematic until you figure out the technique. As mentioned above you have to rotate the cylinder as you move it in. Basically use the cylinder to press the hand back.

Put the hammer down and cock to half. Look at back of frame inside cylinder area. The hand that rotated the cylinder is probably sticking out some. Roll the cylinder as you insert it so the rotation pushed the hand back against its spring. There will be a little resistance as the cylinder pushes it.

Yes, exactly, the tip of the hand sticks out enough to prevent the cylinder from going in completely. So, I will keep working at it and hope to find the trick to rotating the cylinder in a way that moves that hand back. Should I be putting the cylinder in from the right side or the left? Should I rotate the cylinder to the left or to the right?

Thanks.

It has been a while but I think it comes in from the right. You are using the section of the cylinder that normally interfaces with the hand to press the hand back. Basically using the ramp to push it aside. You should see the way the ramp/notch works with the hand and figure it out. Sorry I cannot be specific but it has been a while and I do not have one sitting in front of me.

It’s even easier to pull the hammer back only slightly(not half cock). Then hold it back while you slap in the cylinder. This keeps the hand and bolt retracted into the frame so neither get in the way. This is how I do it, and I can change cylinders faster than using a speed loader on a modern revolver.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. Meanwhile I can't find powder or caps for sale anywhere. So, as it turns out, my timing for getting a black powder revolver really sucks. :(

They are out there check local gun stores. You could also make your own. Both are pretty simple to make , and extremely economical.

Back