• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Identification? Age, ect?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock19Fan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I acquired a cannon from another collector at a yard sale in early August and I have been trying to find some information on the cannon since then. All he told me was that he had shot it several times but didn't know much about the cannon other than he had got it from a friend out in Arizona.

The cannon appears to be solid cast iron. Im no professional, but it doesn't appear to have a liner although it does seem like the bore is crowned. It measures 26 inches long, 7 1/2 wide, and with a 1 1/2 inch bore. It is very heavy and strongly attracts a magnet. There are no visible marks on the barrel that would suggest a date, manufacturer, or any other stamps/identifying marks. I stuck a rod in the barrel for measurement and it matches up perfectly with the fuse hole. The barrel is not rifled.

The finish on it is not something that I am familiar with. It is certainly not a modern blue, but its not a paint either. It also seems to be fairly old and likely original to the barrel. There are parts where the finish is worn off as well as areas of light rust.

It came on a carriage but im not sure if it is original to the barrel and neither did the previous owner.

In the picture of the muzzle, I wanted to point out that the lines surrounding the bore are not tooling marks but rather appear to be pour "folds" (?) from the manufacturing process. Also, there are tool marks that smooth out the casting along the outside but they don't seem to be from modern power tools.

I am not familiar with cannons although I have done quite a bit of research. It looks pretty old but I cant be for sure. I don't intend on firing it but I would like to get everyone's opinion on where and when it was made, or at least point me in the right direction.

I know these aren't the best pictures, but I can get some more tomorrow when there is more light.

Opinions? Comments? Anything is appreciated! Thanks!

28ko51w.jpg

micbo6.jpg

2i1plsp.jpg

2eckyut.jpg

For some reason the pictures don't want to show but if you right click, properties, and copy and paste the URL into your bar then it should show.

Any suggestions on a better way to post pictures?

Glock19Fan said:
For some reason the pictures don't want to show but if you right click, properties, and copy and paste the URL into your bar then it should show.

Any suggestions on a better way to post pictures?
The photos show and look fine to me.

Alright I might just be my computer or something.

Anyone have opinions on the cannon? Or try to point me in the right direction to identify its age?

By the way here is another part of my "cannon" collection.

2m508p3.jpg

I was browsing cannonsuperstore.com and I believe I found this cannon, or at least on that looks and measures nearly identicle to it. The shape and length of the cannon listed are the exact same with just a difference in the bore diameter (they list is as 1 1/4 inch but mine measures 1 1/2 inch).

I never did get any information on my cannon but from what it seems it is possible it really is an antique from the mid 1800s.

What does everyone else think?

Its the fourth one on the bottom. http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/cannons_sold.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly looks like its made from the same model. However, there is no info on the other one except that it was found so has no provenance.

Everything is therefore conjecture so far.

True. Before I posted I sent them an email to see if there was any information specific to the cannon that they could provide for a possible match. I am also going to check out the rust patterns and wear patterns in the morning to see if I can notice some consistancies and similarities.

I also asked what area of the country it was sold to, becuase I bought it in TN but the guy said that he was visiting in Arizona at the time he bought it.

I have recognized most of them. I have seen them posted for sale on E-Bay. Or ones so simular that they are twins.

This cannon is the only one that I have seen so far that looks like it, and the second I seen it I knew that it was probably from the same manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back