• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon fuse where to get

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fuse measured 0.135-0.140" in diameter. It was surprisingly round. Other fuses I have used have bumps and raised edges or spirals. It lit well and burns underwater.

I couldn't remember what size I ran out of and now I am sure it was the 3/32 (0.0938"). I would substitute the 3/32" or the 3mm (0.1181") if I had cannons with the small fuse hole.

Because I ran out of 3/32 fuse I installed a nipple for percussion cap. The fuse hole was drilled to 0.159" (#21 drill size) for using a 10-32 tap. If I want to remove the nipple and use the 1/8" fuse it's a sure fit.

5/32" (0.1562") fuse is a size that can also be used if the nipple is removed.

I just realized how funny it sounds that all/most of these places don’t have, and haven’t had, percussion caps or musket caps forever, but they have plenty of CANNON fuse on hand…lol! 😎

I wasn't clear, but the cannon has had the percussion ignition for several years. I was using the cannon at events and the fuse worried me if someone or an animal approached too close to the danger zone. I use a ball peen hammer, eye protection, and ear protection. I squat down from right or left side and just lightly tap the cap.

After firing I remove the nipple, flush the cannon bore with water until a clear stream flows from the nipple threads. Let it all dry before the next shot. I load powder, pour some powder into the threaded port, screw in the nipple. I use paper towels when firing over water and switch to flour as packing if away from anything that can't be coated in flour dust (add a light rain and wow what a mess). I use a wood rammer and dead blow hammer to pack.

Typically, I load it pretty heavy which causes a rollback of 6 to 10 feet.

I use Pyrodex only and it can last 20 years outside in the shed with no issues other than the cover begins to rust.

I checked Powder Inc for fuse and powder, I almost fell out of the chair at the prices !

:oops:

It is shocking, but they got it if you need it, I added it to my contacts list.

Thank you, Paul-in-PA

Has anyone come up with a flint device to ignite the charge?
I thought some cannons (maybe shipboard ones) had a flintlock ignition?

Attachments

• 29375B92-32E3-4ADA-9106-7513849A2574.jpeg
    29375B92-32E3-4ADA-9106-7513849A2574.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 0
Back