• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Accidents East Europe (Poland)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasseji

36 Cal.
Reaction score
1. Premature ignition:
3rd May 2010, accident happened while loading an Organ Cannon (6 short, 20inch lenght barrels). Gunner was standing in fron of muzzles and leaning over them while ramming home charges in each barrel separately.
On the 3rd or 4th barrel an ignition occured(propably leftovers from a previously fired paper cartridge). 3 barreles fired and the guy in question received a flash in his face from the vent holes he was leaning over. Additionally the muzzle flash ignited a few powder cartridges on his bandolier (musketeer's bandolier). No permanent injuries, only severe burns.

2. Premature Ignition:
2008, exact date unknown, young cannoneer was ramming home a charge while the residual cartridge from a previous charge caused the cannon (a quarter-culverin, big stuff) to fire - no wet swabbing was performed as in previous accident (the boy was a member of same group as the guy above). Boy was cast with his rammer several yards and had broken ribs was hospitalised due to severe burns for an extensive period

3. Powder Flask explosion:
This one is only partially related to a Cannon incident. It happened to an experienced Cannonner after an artillery battle between a ship and an on-shore Fort.
17th April 2011 - After the battle one of the cannoneers was standing and watching the ship depart as his powder flask, which he carried inside a leather bag on his left hip exploded.
The cause is unknown although the flask in question turned out to be made of steel coated in brass rather than made from brass as the producer stated - we suspect some spark made between an object in the gab and the flask itself (i was standinga few yards from the explosion and he was not smoking a cigar as some try to tell).
A part about 1" diameter and a few others of the said flask shot through the man's left forearm shattering both bones in multiple places. Man (a close friend of mine actually) still has his left forearm secured by an exoskeleton which they put him in it to help it heal

4. Premature Ignition:
7th of May 2011 Cannoneer was loading a Mortar during a 1st World War Event - the mortar barrel was not swabbed after previous shot and heat from the barrel ignited the powder while he was ramming it - in mortars we dont use cartridges so the powder was loose in the barrel. This event left the guy without the top part of his left hand's little finger

Most of this accidents which occur here in Poland are related to not wet swabbing after each shot...

i do it every time and people tell me i shouldnt because then i risk a misfire when the powder becomes wet...

I always use aluminum foil to make cartridges as it always burns down completely and even if not, it doesnt burn in the barrel after the shot, so powder cant get wet from the swabbing.

NEVER EVER would i put loose powder in a barrel (except a mortar where it cant be done other way) nor use paper for cartridges (no matter how historically inaccurate aluminum foil is)

Hope you find my insights informative ;)

I agree with you. I would swab that barrel regardless. better to have a misfire then end up missing body parts. Thankfully no one was killed.

well, i never had a misfire using alu foil for cartridges, once i was using paper and then yes.

I try to convince people here about some safety stuff but most ignore it for the sake of authenticity.

we manage somehow to keep authenticity and be safe ;)

Not swabbing the tube is asking for trouble.

As for misfires, the only time I experienced a misfire after swabbing the tube, was when a plastic sandwich baggy was used in the construction of the charge. The plastic melted around the fuse and snuffed it out.

If I wish to moisture proof a charge, I use wax paper. I, also, have developed a preference for quills over fuse for ignition.

pence.gif

CP

quills ?

you mean those thin paper rolls filled with Black Powder and with a flower-like thing at the top with BP glued on ?

We use them too or just priming powder on the vent, only using slowmatch in order to ignite the primer or quill

I have heard of using metal foil cartridges before,
How well does it work & is it all consumed?
It if is not too off topic, has anyone tried this in revolvers and did it work?

Widow'sSon, i never tried alu foil in BP ctg, but i did try paper, which burned up OK but didn't really gain anything.

I think (but wouldn't sweat to it) that these were once available in a commercial basis (back in the 18602 and '70s?) but never caught on because they really didn't provide much of an advantage in speed or convenience.

Just my two cents worth- and please don't take anything i say as any observation of historical accuracy or period correctness. I'll leave the historian stuff to professionals, who really know what they're doing, who have primary source material, and who can point you in the right (HC/PC) directions... i just wanted to try it out.

make good smoke.

I ALWAYS use aluminum foil cartridges to load my cannons.
I double wrap the foil around a dowel that is slightly smaller in diameter than the chamber or bore. I use a glue stick to glue the edge forming a cylinder. Slide one end of the cylinder off the dowell and fold it over forming a cup. Remove the foil cup from the dowel.
Load the correct amount of black powder in the cup (add a tissue and filler if needed) then twist the end closed to a point so you can tell which end has the filler.
I have a sleeve that is slightly smaller than the chamber or bore. I make sure all cartridges slide through the sleeve so I know they will fit into the chamber or bore of the cannon.
Most of the foil comes out when the piece is fired but sometimes the rear part stays in the bore but it is easy to remove with a worm.
When loading I always search the bore with a worm first. Next I wet mop and dry mop the bore. Load a cartridge. Run a prick down the vent to pierce the foil. Insert fuse and you are ready to fire. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/998618/
Shot with aluminum foil cartridges. You can see some of the used foil cartridges pulled from the bore on the ground.
SC45-70

Last edited by a moderator:
Jasseji said:
quills ?

you mean those thin paper rolls filled with Black Powder and with a flower-like thing at the top with BP glued on ?

We use them too or just priming powder on the vent, only using slowmatch in order to ignite the primer or quill

That's one type. I use a more modern approach. I use sections of plastic straws. One end is cut on an angle. Using lengths of scotch tape, that are slightly longer than the sections of straw and cut in half lengthwise, I place them sticky side down one at a time in a shallow bowl with a small amount of FFFFG priming powder. Once the sticky side is covered with powder, I curl it lengthwise and thread it through a length of straw. I, then store them in a plastic container for later use. I shove the pointy side first in the vent, after I have pricked the charge with a gimlet.

Not too fond of powdering the vent. Too easy to set the grass and shrubbery on fire in windy conditions.

CP

MSW said:
Widow'sSon, i never tried alu foil in BP ctg, but i did try paper, which burned up OK but didn't really gain anything.

I think (but wouldn't sweat to it) that these were once available in a commercial basis (back in the 18602 and '70s?) but never caught on because they really didn't provide much of an advantage in speed or convenience.

Just my two cents worth- and please don't take anything i say as any observation of historical accuracy or period correctness. I'll leave the historian stuff to professionals, who really know what they're doing, who have primary source material, and who can point you in the right (HC/PC) directions... i just wanted to try it out.

make good smoke.

Aluminum foil charges for cannons are required by all Civil War / Rev War re-enacting organizations, the National Parks System and anyone safety concious. Loose powder invites accidents. It just takes one spark or cinder to ruin your life.

For revolvers, I was just reading some articles on premade cartridges for percussion revolvers in The Backwoodsman, Vol. 31, issue 6, Nov./Dec. 2010 and in "Guns of the Old West" #70, Summer 2011, magazine about just that.

CP

i believe the alu foil is burned up as well producing sparks in the process (in modern fireworks you use aluminum powder to create sparkies)

will try your approach to quills ;) mine can be used to pick a hole in the foil actually if the rammer didn "overdo" :p

i do not dry sponge the piece at all - only wet actually - no problems ever with this

Latest posts

Back