• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Safe Loading Devices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not “one time I heard,” or “my college roommate’s cousin’s friend.” I know a guy who’s been shooting BP since I was a kid; I’ve been shooting with him at Rendezvous a number of times in the past 20 years. Several years ago he was using a range rod to drive a very tightly fitting PRB into his unprimed rifle, and the charge ignited, blowing the rod out and injuring him in the face and hand. Near as he figures, it was the piston-like compression that ignited the charge. Before and since the accident, I’ve known him to be a very model of safe gun handling.
Never can tell.
Jay
Im pretty sure you can’t ignite black power with compression. I compress my home made in a 20 ton hydraulic press to puck it. I would have blown up a long time ago.

Since this post has already been derailed by discussion of 'abominations', 'unmentionables', and 'flying'; I will toss my two cents in on 'Safety Devices'.
Long people have tried to come up with devices to take the Risk out of Living, however I find all too often these 'Safety Devices' bring to the table their own inherent risks; aside from 'malfunctions' and personal 'poor maintenance', they also sometimes lead to Over Confidence.

Since aviation as already been mentioned I will bring up the AAD (automatic activation device) that at one time the USPA and FAA considered making "Mandatory". With great detail as most (if not all) here have no idea what I am speaking of, I will just say that this 'Cure All, End All' Safety Device lead to it's own Malfunctions and various Maintenance issues as well as people becoming Too Lax, no longer paying attention to their basics. They thought that this AAD device (sometimes even added with other devices) would save them in the event of an emergency....but instead the various reports began to come in where the Safety Device was: Taking Lives, and Causing loss of lives.

I for one never signed on to the "Safety Craze" and preferred to follow the tried and true old times that came before me. Yes I was even turned away at some places for not having one...while in the begging authorities tried to hide the failures of the Safety Device, soon many began to abandon them and return to what had always worked.

As far as "Something that will remove all risks...." as listed in the OP: I will stick to the KISS, less gadgets to mess with, maintain, and less gadgets to fail and cause a problem.
Muzzleloaders and black powder have been around longer then mentioned 'Abominations', 'Unmentionables', cars or even aviation.....I think the old times have the safety factors dialed, just follow the rules and if lightning strikes then so be it; when the Reaper calls just look him straight in face and spat in his eye!

"Couldn’t remember if he had left his ML loaded or not. He decided to find out by firing a cap with his hand over the barrel to see if he felt any air come out."

I had to read this three times to make sure I didn't misinterpret something - Sweet Mother of God what is wrong with people?
Darwinism is thriving in the brave new world.

You can't fix stupid but you can numb it with a 2x4.

A wise man once said you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink to which I replied if you shove his head under water he'll swallow some. The more steps you add for safety sake also increase the number of things that can go wrong. More distractions cause more chance of error. More steps more chances to forget one. Stick with what works the safest and the best for YOU.

Since aviation as already been mentioned I will bring up the AAD (automatic activation device) that at one time the USPA and FAA considered making "Mandatory". With great detail as most (if not all) here have no idea what I am speaking of, I will just say that this 'Cure All, End All' Safety Device lead to it's own Malfunctions and various Maintenance issues as well as people becoming Too Lax, no longer paying attention to their basics. They thought that this AAD device (sometimes even added with other devices) would save them in the event of an emergency....but instead the various reports began to come in where the Safety Device was: Taking Lives, and Causing loss of lives.

And don't forget about the good ole Ercoupe! Can't stall it! :)

Back