• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canadian smoothbore law?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
friends of mine are going to canada in sept to hunt caribou..one wants to take his tulle smoothbore, but has heard it's illegal to have a shotgun in canada.they're driving to montreal then flying to a base camp..anyone have any info on this law? we thought getting bp was gonna be the problem...thanks RC

Depends on the province you are visiting. You are going to shoot caribou and you mention Montreal, so it sounds like you will be hunting in Quebec. I have no idea what the laws are like there, but here in Ontario, shotguns are perfectly legal and are the only firearm permitted for hunting certain game.

RC said:
friends of mine are going to canada in sept to hunt caribou..one wants to take his tulle smoothbore, but has heard it's illegal to have a shotgun in canada.they're driving to montreal then flying to a base camp..anyone have any info on this law? we thought getting bp was gonna be the problem...thanks RC

Illegal to have shotguns in Canada?It's not Illegal to have shotguns in Canada.
As for the Tulle...I'm guessing that it's a flintlock?
There are no restrictions on owning and using Flintlocks in Canada.Excepting they must be cased while in vehicles.
Do a google search on Canadian Firearms Center.If you have the patience to sift through all the useless reading you will find what you are looking for.Also they will usually answer emails quite promptly providing you with answers.
Hope this helps.

No problem with the Tulle gun , reenactors
go back and forth to Fort Chambly , Ticonderoga
and Crown Point , with Tulle guns .

Canadian law : Everything with flint , match ,
or wheel lock is not a firearm .Original
or repro , as long it is not a pistol .
Original antique percussion is also ok
Percussion repro must be registered .

Any kind of pistol is a lot of troubles .

It's been a couple of years since I've brought a firearm into Canada from the States. Basically, so long as it's not an automatic or has been altered with a folding stock, etc. shotguns are fine. There is a fee to bring in a weapon to Canada. The permit is good for a year the last time I went.

On a side note, it helps to make sure before you leave the US to get a document from the US customs side showing you had the gun leaving the US. It's basically a slip of paper with the make model and serial number of your weapon. An agent will stamp the document. It's free.

I've done this several times and the US Customs agents have expressed their gratitude for limiting any possible confusion when you return. :thumbsup:

gmww, Thanks for the info and advice! I wonder what they write down for a custom made smoothbore? no makers name, no serial #...probably a good idea to at least have something in writing...now if we can find him a light gun case to hold a 60+ in gun.....gotta be light for the airplane ride...thanks again TO ALL RC

Your welcome. That suggestion for checking in with customs prior to leaving the US also applies to anything expensive and new. You don't want to leave with a brand new camera only have have to prove you didn't buy it in Ca. Good luck on the hunt and please post pictures. :thumbsup:

Good advice! I'm not going on the hunt,was asked,but really can't get into that caribou thing. last time they went they seen 2 two 2! and too far away...besides, $3000 is alot of money,rather spend it a whitetail hunt....someday, really like to see one of them 300-400 lb. whitetails..............RC

TWO................How SAD is that?? but know a guy who went up alaska for a caribou hunt this past fall,,,seen a few,mostly cows,1 small bull...according to the tracking thing they use to see where herds are at, there was about 10,000 of them 70 miles away waitin on the weather, and the weather didn't change...well that's the story i heard,they came home with nothin....no, send me to sasaskewen (can't go there till i can spell it!)

no, send me to sasaskewen (can't go there till i can spell it!)
LOL....I'm not sure I can even spell it.Give me a western whitetail hunt or a Newfoundland Moose hunt over Caribou any day.Brother in law said it was like shooting fish in a barrell.

hunting in canada sounds like more trouble than it is worth besides spend you money here instead of there. shoulda backed the Irish in the 1860s and invaded that country

"Canada a country populated by all of those we threw out of this country"~ME

Hey,
It was Keep either YOU or the French so we decided on the french....Good decision I think! :blah:

I've had nothing but good luck going to Canada to hunt. The customs people were fine as long as you had you paper work in order. They were even helpful in telling me what I needed before entry too.

I didn't have any problem coming back into the US either. However, beings I live on the border I can say your more likely to get sent to "secondary" for further inspection and questioning on the US side. That was even before 911. Trust me I've been there.

I'd rather spend money in the US being a US citizen. However, in my state a Moose tag is a once in a lifetime draw. I can hunt in Canada every year if I could afford it.

Alaska is just too expensive. :hatsoff:

aaronyetter said:
"Canada a country populated by all of those we threw out of this country"~ME
:hmm: :hmm: We are not populated entirely by those you threw out of your country. We have quite a few of your guys who came up here in the 70's :blah: :blah:

Yeah.....That's right Soggy....the ones with the long hair that lived in the woods.I guess they musta came for the hunting.......or something... :winking:

aaronyetter said:
shoulda backed the Irish in the 1860s and invaded that country

Uh, actually you tried that in 1812, remember, we kicked you collective a$$es all the way back to washington. Ooooohhhhh, I get it, you needed the help of the IRISH:grin: . That's OK, we love ya anyway :winking:

Cody

Canada would have made a fine Irish state except for the French and Metis. :hatsoff:

Back