• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you Fix bad Flints...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cschibi

40 Cal.
Reaction score
One of my flints for my Kentucky Flintlock started mis-firing...consistently (i.e. not sparking).

I replaced it with another brand new flint I purchased from TOTW.. and it worked fine as it has a very sharp edge.

My question is ...

Is there any way to repair a flint that stopped throwing sparks due to chips or dulling of the edge? It seems like a waste to throw away a flint that lost it's edge? It has considerable volume to it but the edge is rounded and or dulled.

Thanks

Happy Birthday Chris!

Being able to sharpen a gunflint is one of the skills that sets a new flintlock shooter apart from a seasoned flint shooter. You can learn to do it: it's just a matter of removing some small flakes of flint from the no-longer-sharp edge of the flint and making it sharper again. I suspect most shooters use a very small hammer. Eventually a flint gets too stubby to put an edge on, but you need to learn this skill.

Thank you Trent... I couldn't agree more. I am just looking for wisdom from the gurus who have done it. Given the size of the flint, and the condition its in...it seems to be a non trivial exercise that I am eager to learn.

thanks bdp303...

I'll surely give this a try. Thank you for you're consideration!

Respectively,

Agree with the consensus...I've used the bottom face of the frizzen to flake a new flint edge in an emergency. It's good for a few more shots anyway. Many use tools made from steel, iron or brass to pressure flake the flint edge back to sharpness. When you wipe a flint edge after firing you can usually tell if it's getting dull and use the bottom edge of the frizzen to pressure flake the edge. It'll come with time and experience. Obviously, you want to do this BEFORE you load a new powder charge! :wink: :thumbsup:

dont forge, you can also use the back of yer knife....i have not yet bought a knapping hammer...no need ...my knife is always handy

You can use what is called a ? Muzzy Wheel. It is a ? diamond ? embedded (not sure) wheel for a dremel, it will cut them or sharpen them. Looks like a tiny grind stone. I use the to flatten the tops off the flints that are humped bad & will not sit in the jaw correctly. I do the whole bag of 250 when I buy them, so they are all done. I think I got them from Jewelers Supply or Jewelers Supply or something like that.

Caution: Dust from them are Harmful..... Put a STRONG vacuum directly off the discharge of the wheel to catch all the dust. AND wear a respirator when doing this.

Keith Lisle

Bryon said:
dont forge, you can also use the back of yer knife....i have not yet bought a knapping hammer...no need ...my knife is always handy
Agreed. All I have to do to "sharpen" my flint is lightly tap across the edge with the back of my knife blade. No "flint hammer" or special tools required.

bpd303 said:
Tried it won't work, the flint is harder than the belt abrasive. I have reshaped (lowered hump) with a diamond stained glass wet wheel though.

Same here. Use a diamond drum to reduce the humpies. I made a brass hammer for sharpening. Have used the knife thing but prefer my little hammer. I do not do the pressure thing against the frizzen. I don't like putting force on relatively delicate parts. Works for some but just not my thang. :shake:

Before knapping, just flip it over, use the other side and it will knap itself...Then knap by hand...I simply use a small nail, with both ends flattened and flake a bit off the leading edge across the face of the flint...

I have been shown and have used the big round end of a turnscrew to gently tap on the top edge of the flint. Looks good, works fine, last long time...

Yeah, I keep "fixing them" until they are to short to work any more. I have found that they last much longer if one learns to pressure flake the striking edge rather than pounding on it with a percuss-or.
They can also be reshaped quite easily with a green emery wheel used for grinding carbide. Mike D.

I use a deer antler and pressure flake mine.
If you stone a platform on the back side you can adjust the length of the flake and keep from getting a rounded stubby edge. It takes a little practice but if you spend a little time you will start making your own rifle flints.

Butch

There are several ways to put a new edge on a flint while it is on the gun. Some use a small brass hammer to lightly tap across the edge in a pecking motion. I have used the base of my brass powder flask for the same purpose.

Others use a flaking tool made by filing a step in the end of a 1/8th inch or so diameter brass or steel rod. Nibble all the way across the edge, pressing down and back.

On the line at a match I try the simplest technique first. With the cock fully forward, press the frizzen down hard on top of the flint, then slowly pull the cock back while maintaining pressure. Keep going until the flint slips out from under the edge of the frizzen. This will renew the edge and true it to the frizzen. This technique takes under a minute, and requires no tools.

Another thing to do is clean the flint, pan and frizzen face. A lot of deposits build up and can inhibit sparking. I cut my patches at the muzzle from a strip, and spit on the raggedy edge, then wipe pan, flint and frizzen.

White Fox, in the People's Republic of Boulder, where the creek across the road is rising every day.....

My good friend, the late Paul Valindigham, taught me how to freshen up a flint while it is still on the gun. It is a good way to quickly get a flint back to sparking. It has to be done carefully so as not to get your finger in the way. With your left thumb move the frizzen to the partially open position. Then using your right thumb to hold the cock, lower it until it touches the heel of the frizzen. Carefully, hold the frizzen in this position and move the cock back to the full cock position. Pull the trigger and let the cock fall forward hitting the heel of the frizzen. This will flake off small bits of the flint and give you a new edge. As a serious caution, be sure that you are wearing eye protection when you do this as the small bits of flint could possibly hit you in the eye if you don't have any protection for your eyes. This is a real handy way of freshening up your flint and it takes only a few seconds to do it. :hatsoff:

Back