• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can this stock be fixed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am located in central Illinois, just west of Springfield. If anyone has any recommendations on where to take it, that would be great. If not, I would probably be willing to pay to ship it further out to have the repairs done.
Friendship is not that far off date wise. Could bring itcthere and interview folks about fixing it and attend the shoot. Lots of great folks who know their business will be there. If you can wait that long plus it is hand delivered.

Jim Kibler builds about the best shipping crate i have seen. But i received a rifle broken in half in a crate built just like his.
i for one am leaning towards schedule 80 pvc pipe padded inside.
A really long Pelican type shipping case may be the answer but might cost $500+

A really long Pelican type shipping case may be the answer but might cost $500+
the idea of a Pelican case is a good one, but i am afraid it would just lead to theft rather than destruction. i guess you could use the Pelican case, and have it round trip. cost then for shipping would be double.
i just sold my recent fowler build. the thought of shipping scares me.

If you're willing to ship it for repair, I have seen excellent restoration and repair work done by Brian LaMaster.
I have heard good things about Al Edge/Old Dominion for repair and restoration as well. Best would be to call them and discuss what you need, phone numbers on their websites.

the idea of a Pelican case is a good one, but i am afraid it would just lead to theft rather than destruction. i guess you could use the Pelican case, and have it round trip. cost then for shipping would be double.
i just sold my recent fowler build. the thought of shipping scares me.
Crosses my mind as well. Bad enough just getting a long one to its destination for sale or repair but having it destroyed (with sometimes little chance of recovering its value) is just too much. Maybe encasing it in a 2x4 frame?

Scratch the pelican case idea for now. Longest one (1770) is like 54" inside. I love these cases for transporting everything else as they are near indestructible and never had anything damaged in one despite falling off a moving truck. I designed some of their items so sending them a note about building one for long rifles. Cost would still be prohibitive, especially right now. What average dimensions would work???

Scratch the pelican case idea for now. Longest one (1770) is like 54" inside. I love these cases for transporting everything else as they are near indestructible and never had anything damaged in one despite falling off a moving truck. I designed some of their items so sending them a note about building one for long rifles. Cost would still be prohibitive, especially right now. What average dimensions would work???

plus one for the pelican cases.
Elk hunting 5 years ago had one strapped to the rear carry rack of the late polaris grizzly. the quad went over a cliff without me but with the cased 99 savage. the scope wasn't even out of adjustment when we recovered it.

I had a new rifle by a respected builder broken through the wrist in shipment. UPS made good on it promptly. Their agent said I was wise to have all the paperwork, and took pictures of the external packaging damage before opening, and then at several intermediate stages.

I have come to the conclusion that the best way to package a longrifle for shipping is to make a perimeter frame of 1x4 lumber, adding sides of 1/4 or 5/16 inch plywood secured with screws.

This particular rifle is only 4’ long. Im thinking a hard foam lined gun case placed inside a box might be the answer.

If you're willing to ship it for repair, I have seen excellent restoration and repair work done by Brian LaMaster.
I have heard good things about Al Edge/Old Dominion for repair and restoration as well. Best would be to call them and discuss what you need, phone numbers on their websites.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a call to get some estimates for the repair. Hopefully that info will aid in recovering some money from USPS as well.

My friend’s wife, and other friend’s girlfriend both work for the usps. They went somewhere for training. Judging from the twenty somethings there with purple hair and nose rings and liberal attitude, most of damaged gun shipments are deliberately done, “to save the animals “.

Jim Kibler builds about the best shipping crate i have seen. But i received a rifle broken in half in a crate built just like his.
i for one am leaning towards schedule 80 pvc pipe padded inside.
Great shipping ideas :thumb:
Using PVC Pipe sounds like the safest way to ship long guns.
I'm 80 & planning to sell my 59" French Fusil & two much shorter original Jaegers.
A plywood crate lined with 3" PVC pipe might be the safest & most affordable way to ship.
Relic shooter

Latest posts

Back