• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can This Dutch Oven Be Saved?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
100_0867.jpg

I don't know a thing about dutch ovens. This one was just given to me. Is there anything I can do to make it usable again?

Sure, just scrub it clean with a brillo pad, coat with vegetable oil and place in a 400* oven for 20 minutes. Remove, cool, wipe dry and it's as good as new. Got the lid? Without that it's just a stew pot.

omgb said:
Sure, just scrub it clean with a brillo pad, coat with vegetable oil and place in a 400* oven for 20 minutes. Remove, cool, wipe dry and it's as good as new. Got the lid? Without that it's just a stew pot.

Or have it sand or bead blasted. Less effort. :grin:

I have cleaned worst. I have over 100 cast iron. I would use a wire brush on a drill first, then I would use a small peice of sharping stone meduim grit with water. You can use the dremel with a sandpaper disc roll to. You might have some little pitts after you get done, but won't hurt anything on its using ability. I just done a nice 3qt one that looked about the same.After cleaning be sure to oil. The more you use it the better. Their worth saving if not cracked. If you want to put a bail on it,I use a wire handle off a 5gal bucket. Dilly

We bought one at a rendezvous that was full of crud. We put it over the fire, filled it with water and boiled it for about a 1/2 hour. Then I scrubbed it real good with a brillo pad. Then we reheated it and coated the inside with olive oil. We cooked with it that night and have been using it ever since.

I find that cleaning stew and other sticky stuff is best done by boiling, brillo and then applying olive oil to the warm pot. I never use soap unless things get really stuck.

Many Klatch

that is an easy fix and appears to be a good quality DO. a wire brush on a drill motor would work, light sandblasting if you are too lazy. then boil it out of course. then re-oil it. you could deep fry up a batch of taters in it to re-season. or doughnuts.

BACON or Sausage....clean that thing and go fry up a bunch! Fish fry worksgreat also!

'taint nuttin wrong with your Dutchy!
seen worse,have not pulled one out of service yet!
and these belong to boy scouts!(cleaned by and used by)

After you follow all the excellent suggestions for cleaning it back up, might I suggest you use mineral oil to keep it looking like new. I have a cabin in the Adirondack Mts. that I don't visit frequently enough. I use mineral oil on all my cast iron cookware and they always look like new when we get up there, no matter how many cold or hot spells the cabin endured in our absense.
Larry

Here's a tip for those times when you get a really food-fouled mess in a pot. Try adding a 1/4 cup of dishwasher soap, that's dishwasher not dis soap, and then fill with water and boil for 20 minutes or so. Soap designed for dishwashers has a caustic element that is heat activated. It disolves even the worst baked on grease and crud with enought time and heat. If you do this to cast iron, you must oil the pan when rinsed and dried. This treatment will strip it down to bare metal and all seasoning will be lost with rust ahoy being the result unless you reoil and reseason. This method sure does work though.

Hey that looks new already. You are not even close to a well rusted pot. :shake:

Good advice from all. I like to see these old pots/ovens saved. Dont put it away without oiling it down.

I would get that sand blasted, based on it's condition. You can also try building a hot fire, and burn it out real good.

Using steel wool, and a wire wheel, will not get into the rough areas well. Sandblasting would be the best method at forming a real clean surface for seasoning.

I use a gas grill on 350 for about one and a half hours with vegetable oil to season.

I own 5 ovens, and around 20 other iron pieces. I have restored many over the years :thumbsup:

Cast Iron is truly the best cookware ever invented!

How about soaking it in a vinegar solution overnight? Vinegar takes care of a lot of corrosion.

pab1,
I would go with the sandblast treatment,then treat
it as a new DO.You might want to put some steel
wool to it prior to the sandblast...
Just a thought.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Better yet is this! You can let electricity do all the work :thumbsup:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/210266[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this site for full instructions for electrolysis at home with a dutch oven. It will look brand new when finished.[url] http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it cannot be saved. Send it to me along with $20.00 for an EPA approved disposal.

All kidding aside this one is in fair condition and should clean up really pretty easily. Just get the crud out of it. Sandapper it sandblast it soak it, what ever and then coat it with oil and season as described in the replies above. To maintain it clean it with oil and table salt only, never with soap and water, and it will give you another fity or sixty years of good service. If you burn it and have to use the soap on it or re-sand it, start over again. There is plenty of metal there to work with, so go for it.

Back