Can someone help me identify this pistol?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

SOLANCO

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One further suggestion is to check your local laws before purchasing the items needed to shoot this pistol.
Laws vary by state and some cities have further restrictions. It is becoming more common that a black powder revolver is considered the same as a modern pistol once you have everything to shoot it. This means that if your area requires a pistol permit and/or has hand gun registration it may be included and you would be running afoul of the law.
They can't keep guns out of the hands of villains so they pester the rest of us.

B P Arn

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, cold blue will not protect against rust; in fact it promotes rust. I would leave the finish alone on this gun.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
An old trick is to rub the rust spots with a copper penny, removes the rust but doesn’t damage the blueing. Must be pure copper not cupronickel nickel so an old English penny or halfpenny works well
I can sell you a genuine example for $5 plus $25 shipping. ;)

nit wit

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Google Italian Firearms manufacture dates, There should be a 2 letter code in a small box on the brass frame. This way you don't have to guess.
Nit Wit

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Post #1 - second image -

1614267464969.png

XX9 on the righthand side = 1973.

Interesting to see the mix of Roman and Arabic numbers - it is usually XXIX. The lack of a cartouche [box] around the number usually indicates home market use and with the cartouche around it = an export firearm.

Anyhow, the Italian DOPs were recently posted here with the recommendation that they be made into a sticky, since so many posters are asking about them........I guess it didn't happen.

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
An old trick is to rub the rust spots with a copper penny, removes the rust but doesn’t damage the blueing. Must be pure copper not cupronickel nickel so an old English penny or halfpenny works well
If you haven’t got a penny then a ha’penny will do. If you haven’t got a ha’penny then God Bless you.

44Bro

32 Cal
Reaction score
Take a pic of the bottom of the grip frame. There may be more there than made in Italy.