• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can one use lead from batteries to make lead balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rootnuke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is probably insane but here goes...

I have qty. (6) 12volt car batteries.

Has anyone tried to use the lead from within old car batteries to cast balls? :hmm:

I'm not an expert, but I would think there could be some acid content left over.....not gonna be good for the barrel.

I don't cast, but I'll recommend that you not do this.

Dispose of the batteries properly at a recycling center.

:nono:

Just how are you going to clean the lead of and dispose of the sulfuric lead acid? Pretty caustic and explosive stuff there.

Years and Years ago it was feasible, but not now. The newer car batteries have a lot of other metals mixed in with the lead and you don't get good lead, plus the hazards of the battery acid. I'd say forget it.

The "lead" plates in a modern car battery are actually some harder alloy plated with lead. This lets them make them thinner so they can put more plates in the same space and get a higher power battery for the same size. Good for cars. Sucks for reclaiming the lead.
It would be a dirty nasty job anyway. Better to spend the time flipping burgers at McDonalds and buy some new lead for casting balls.

Sure it would work "IF" it is not an alloyed lead. The "old" batteries might have (more or less) pure lead plates, but I don't know about using newer ones.

BUT, in either case the lead would have to be decontaminated first to get rid of traces of acid and impurities in the electrolytes.

It is not economically feasible to do the above on a small scale project.

I would personally not bother with it. Take the advice of someone who mentioned taking the batteries to a recycling firm.

I know... it is getting more and more difficult to find reliable sources of soft lead, but that's how it is...

Cast Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I did a bit of research on this once when I found myself the proud owner of a big pile of dead marine batteries.

The plate alloys contain a varity of stuff Cadmium, Strontium, Barium.... besides being hard not stuff you want to mess with.

SB

If ever you thought that molten lead fumes were somthing to steer clear of than believe me the addition of acid fumes will really spoil your day.

I know you guys are getting a real "Charge" out of this, ok stop with the electrical jokes. ::

My wife was going to take them to the recycling center on the 23rd of this month. After looking at them set in my garage for 3 weeks I thought I had come up with a revolutionary idea that would turn the muzzleloading world on its ears! :: But me thinks NOT, I just did not want to throw away something that could be easily converted to use.

What a shame to mix perfectly good lead with other materials to increase electrical efficiency. It just does not seem right. ::

Years and Years ago it was feasible, but not now. The newer car batteries have a lot of other metals mixed in with the lead and you don't get good lead, plus the hazards of the battery acid. I'd say forget it.

There is zinc and cadmium in batteries as well as lead, plus the acid...

Mr. Rootnuke,
I tried it. The deep cycle RV battery weighed about 110lbs. Burned the battery outside in a "trash" fire so as to avoid the deadly "fume" problem. So far so good. However, when I cleaned away the ashes, there was this pile of stuff. When touched, crumbled into "powder" with some sort of lead residue. Don't know if I can sift/sort into a usable form or not. Probably not, unless someone here can point me in the right direction.
At this stage the best I can recommend is: Don't bother even trying. Wasting your time unless they are the old style of battery; based on my limited experience.
Best Wishes

Dear Rootnuke,I had the same idea aswell.I was having a tough time finding pure lead to cast.I was unable to find suitable sources on the internet.I came up w/ a brilliant idea, reclaim the lead from car batteries.My brother in law works for Ford so I had a ready supply.I gathered about thirty batteries beside my barn.I drained the acid then submerged each battery in a 5gallon bucket filled w/ baking soda / h2o_Once the acid was deactivated(2 weeks or so) I began to disassemble the batteries.Blast! What a pain in the bum.Two hour to reclaim the lead from 4 batteries!There may be other metals present but since I was to "purify" the lead, for lack of better term,I was unconcerned.I knew it would never be pure but I assumed it would prove useable.Yeah right.I found the entire experiment to be a perfect waste of time and energy.So there the remaining batteries sat until my wife had finally had enough.I found lead roof flashing more user friendly and now I have found a source on the internet that is very well priced.So my advice is this:Can it be done?Yep.Sure can.Is it worth the trouble,cost,and sleeping on the couch? Nope.Not even.Hope that helps.Jack

NO, do not do this :imo: I hate to sound like a prude but its not worth screwing up your gun, or yourself for that matter.

As for a good source ... the best pure led I've found is from old burried cable telephone lines. If you know anyone that works for a phone company that has access to this, get all you can, you won't be sorry :imo:

I know you guys are getting a real "Charge" out of this, ok stop with the electrical jokes. ::

Who? Us???? would we do that?

Really now, that is shocking! ::

Actually I think some of the electrical responces to the question are reVOLTING! A man can't sit in his OHM and ask WATT you guys know. It sounds like a severe case of BATTERY to me. He's probably wondering WIRE you guys all against him?

It's a good thing Redhairedwench didn't answer him. He would probably find it hard to RESISTER!!!!! :: :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :: ::

I don't care what anybody says ... thats funny :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Actually I think some of the electrical responces to the question are reVOLTING! A man can't sit in his OHM and ask WATT you guys know. It sounds like a severe case of BATTERY to me. He's probably wondering WIRE you guys all against him?

It's a good thing Redhairedwench didn't answer him. He would probably find it hard to RESISTER!!!!! :: :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :: ::

Hey Zonie,

I got a kick out of your POST. WIRE you doing this to us. Do I detect some ACID in your commentary? Or is it that you are well GROUNDED and just like to send a little JOLT our way once in a while. I must say you do have the CAPACITOR to do that. You could be CHARGED with being a punny guy. No need to be NEGATIVE about this, and there is no reason to resort to BATTERY. OHM I God - I'm getting worse than Zonie. :yakyak: :eek:

Back