• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I use lead shot in a Cold Walker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read of grizzlies being hunted with Walkers and round balls from horse back in history.
Don’t doubt you. I also read of them being taken by native Americans with bows and flint tipped arrows. And Lewis and Clark would have cleaned up on the grizzlies they encountered if only the Walker had been invented and they had one….. How many Walkers by the way were made? 1000? And how many survived without blowing up their cylinder? Of those survivors, how many were used to hunt grizzles on horseback? Successfully?

So what is your preferred saddle when you hunt grizzlies from horseback with your Walker? Do you carry your Walker on your hip or in a saddle holster?

The problem with using lead shot in a rifled barrel is that all the shot on the periphery of the chamber contacting the lands and grooves tend to peel off from the shot column in flight from what I can see. The shot cups greatly reduce or eliminate this problem..
I have noticed my 4 inch barreled .44 shoots much tighter patterns than does my long barreled guns shooting identical loads and I don't really know why that should be..
Longer barrel more spin maybe?

I cut a 12mm felt wads. And number 9 shot in my cap and ball revolvers.

Found a post on wad Size modern muzzleloader forums wad sizes. The 12mm wad I'm using tight fit un my cylinders so as far as for me stays tight in my chamber.

whats the difference between a walker and judge? get some 410 shot shell wads and se if they are short enough to get into the walker cylinder with 20g powder and have enough room for a felt wad over the shot?
I would think those .410 wads would help push the shot on down the barrel.

Yeah, pretty sure Mike would be resistant to the idea of smoothing his walker…

If as you say, a person were to come across a walker or one of the other dragoons with a roached bore, it would be an interesting experiment…

Don’t doubt you. I also read of them being taken by native Americans with bows and flint tipped arrows. And Lewis and Clark would have cleaned up on the grizzlies they encountered if only the Walker had been invented and they had one….. How many Walkers by the way were made? 1000? And how many survived without blowing up their cylinder? Of those survivors, how many were used to hunt grizzles on horseback? Successfully?

So what is your preferred saddle when you hunt grizzlies from horseback with your Walker? Do you carry your Walker on your hip or in a saddle holster?
Anyone feel handy with la reata…

Dar la vuelta! And mind your thumbs.

IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4131.jpeg
IMG_4130.jpeg

I broke a finger in my left hand and can't hold on to a rifle now till it heals. Is it possible to use lead shot in Uberti Colt Walker for varmints?
I read an article somewhere on the net regarding just this topic. The fellow even demonstrated the use of shot. So, yes it is possible.

That always seemed a bad deal to me having had a saddle horse for many years. Dabbing a single loop on a grizzle who would immediately wind you up and kill both of you it would seem the only way to survive would be to double loop him from opposite directions.
Any horse I have ever used in bear country can smell them way before they can see them and get really riled up! They are one of the best bear alarms available.

That always seemed a bad deal to me having had a saddle horse for many years. Dabbing a single loop on a grizzle who would immediately wind you up and kill both of you it would seem the only way to survive would be to double loop him from opposite directions.
Any horse I have ever used in bear country can smell them way before they can see them and get really riled up! They are one of the best bear alarms available.
But understandable… when a cowboy or wannabe cowboy gets his first rope, nothing is safe. Calves, pigs, geese and ducks. When they get a little older and feeling full of vinegar I can see it happening. We never had grizzlies, and black bears around here don’t stick around long enough to get a loop on them.

friend of mine in Wyoming his buddy lassoed a Grizzel bar. his horse didn't survive.. I don't know all the details but it was a sad situation/consequence of young man syndrome...

It is entirely possible. Cut you powder charge to 20gr seat a .451 copper gas check over the powder with cup facing out, load #9 shot to just below the mouth of the chamber then seat another gas check cup facing down over the shot use a little pressure and the gas check will expand to seal the load. Good for vermin out to about 25ft.
That is way better way than I figured.

Latest posts

Back