• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can Cabelas Pedersoli shoot slugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torpex24

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 12ga double barrel Pedersoli with screw in chokes purchased at Cabelas 4-5 years ago. I don't know the model or name of it.
On the barrel it is stamped "89g powder" and "1 1/4oz shot". I have two "cylinder" chokes for it.
Has anyone ever shot deer slugs or round balls out of one of these for deer hunting?
If so, what are the components of the load as they are put in the barrel?

Yup, I had the 10ga version, I shot .735 round balls out of mine.

The 12 is going to need a smaller ball.

Maybe a .715 or a .69 and a thinker patch.

Give it a try, it's a lot of fun! :thumbsup:

Try it, but use a smaller charge of FFg- say start at about 60 grains, with a PRB, and work up from there in 5 grain increments.

DON'T expect the two barrels to be regulated to shoot the two balls to the same POA, at any distance. These guns often will have ONE barrel that gives consistent accuracy with one load, but the other barrel needs a different load to get a small group. You choice is to custom load each barrel, or just load one with a PRB, and use the other for birdshot when you hunt.

The markings on the barrel indicate the Maximum load the factory is suggesting for that gun- NOT A RECOMMENDED LOAD. I personally think your gun can stand a load of 90 grains of FFg powder and a 1 1/4 oz. of shot, but a lot of pressure is put on the nipples, and their threads, with these kinds of loads. If anything " goes", it will be the nipples. I don't think you want them flying back towards your face.

Don't think a smaller powder charge is a "wimp " load, either. That heavy ball- usually more than an ounce of lead-- is a freight car you begin moving. At 50 yards, and even much further, it will completely penetrate a deer, expanding even at low velocity , from its .71 caliber, to over an Inch in diameter, before it exits. A soft RB is a much faster killer( assuming shot placement in the chest of a deer) than even a 12 gauge foster slug. You will hear the impact of the ball. :thumbsup:

True forster-style hollow based slugs as used for cartridge guns are likely too small for your muzzleloader, even if they're "12 gauge." I pulled some from loaded ammo and miked them. The ones I checked (Federal, Remington and Winchester, IIRC) all miked around .690. Can't imagine that they'll shoot worth a hoot from a muzzleloader without serious patching or something.

Patched round balls work great though. With the right patch thickness they're so accurate from a cylinder bore gun you have to wonder why forster slugs were ever invented. I'm betting you need that open cylinder rather than any conventional chokes though. Reports on shooting RBs from jug chokes are good, but I don't have firsthand experience with that.

I tried prb in my Pedersoli 12 ga, a rather light weight gun. They kicked like a mule and were not pleasant to fire. That is of no consequence in the deer woods, of course. One seldom feels recoil in the "heat of the moment". I didn't do much work with them but they definitely showed potential. And yes the barrels will not necessarily be regulated. It is fun!

I have a couple of italian made smooth bores and generally the 12 gauge is a bit tighter than the .729 INCHES that a 12 gauge is technically supposed to be. You can get .715 round balls, cork wads, cardboard overshot cards etc from places like "Ballistic Products" and using a patch they should shoot fairly accurately. So, to answer your question what is the recommendation of what goes in the barrel and in what order---

First:
70 grains of powder
Second:
wad (cork wad or cardboard)
Third:
Patched .715 round ball (Use .010 -.020 patch large enough for a .720 bore)
Fourth:
Over-shot card or cork wad again

The reason to put the cork wads in OVER the patched round ball is added support so that shooting the first barrel does not as readily dislodge the second barrel's load.

It should be very fun to shoot and as others have said do NOT expect the barrels to shoot to the same point of aim. But at 25 yards you may be pleasantly surprised at how well one barrel shoots. You will need to play with the powder amount and thickness of the patches to get optimum accuracy from both barrels. I have one double barrel smoothie where I can get very good accuracy out to 50-60 yards although the barrels shoot to two different points so I must be conscious of which barrel I am shooting so that I can aim for that barrel.

not sure if you meant balls or conicals

but my father uses round ball from his pedersoli 12ga and it hits decent kills out to 50yds using 90gr swiss,, his left barrel because of the full choke tube is a bit tighter but the patched ball makes it by fine!

I use the 20SxS and my left barrel is within 3" of center @ 50 (benchrested) and the right is usually about 1" higher and 1" right of the lefts hit but very sufficient for deer,, I use 80gr swiss.

Back