• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone identify this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Vairochana,

Looks just like an Investarms .50 cal. that I have. The stock is walnut, nose cap, trigger guard, and patch box look the same. The stock on mine is a high gloss and the barrel has a highly polish blue job. there is an " I " and Investarms, and made in Italy on the barrel. The name Sile is also on the barrel, which I believe was the distributor in New York. The box that it was in said Deluxe on it. Sorry can't give you a price, I inherited it, along with a .54 cal., this has an oil finish walnut stock and regular round patch box. Both have 28” barrels and 1 in 48 twist. Both were unfired when I received them.
Hope I was of some help

Yagee :thumbsup:

It is a great planes rifle from the 70s. I bought 2 of them in kit form. 54 cal. I have killed 3 Elk and 3 Bucks with it. It is just as acurat as my custom guns. The only problem I ever had was a weak hammer spring. Replaced it years ago and never had a minutes prob since. It uses a coil spring. My son gave me the heaveyer spring and I don't know where he got it.

Gday all,
well I had a look at it today and I must say that in some ways the picture does not do it justice. It has a very nice feel and heft. I did swab the barrel: the swab came out a bit brown but I have seen worse and it is nothing I can't fix. it has had a bit of a hard life as there is some "character" on the barrel and stock.
As to its origins, it is part of a deceased estate and was sold with a number of unregistered guns which the family didn't know about. _OK I know how that sounds but I know the dealer and he is pretty honest.
on the Barrel it has Made In Italy and a number of stamped maker makes I haven't seen before- I must admit from poking around sites it does look like a Lyman trade rifle/Hawken.
oh yes, I agree with the last post about the suprisingly light hammer spring-it seem adequate though and I am used to my flintlock which has a strong spring

All in all I think I could do worse and if nothing else will be a good project

Cheers

V

john it is a ransom plains riffle ransom co is now called invest arms i have a .50 cal which i did up just recentley ,if the bore is in good nick then it is a good price i live in west ozy just out of perth.heres apic of my gun.
bernie :grin:
100_4422.jpg

WIndwalker- I think you got it mate.
The bore looks ok- bit of brown on the swab but it smells of oil so I think it is ok.

Cheers

V

Well I'll be darned , it's not a T/C :redface: . Mmmmm crow , will someone pass the BBQ sauce , please :haha: .

I think you will like your lyman plains rifle. Nothing fancy, just a good work horse. Mine has served me well for 30 years. I can check with my son and see if he rembers where he got the heaveyer hammar spring if you need it. I never had a problem with the first spring but changed it any way. You are right as they both seem light but never seems to fail to pop the cap.

the tc hamer spring fits the lock i just put one in my lock. it's a much stifer spring.
bernie :grin:

Vairochana,
I also have the same thing as Windwalker and yourself. An Italian made Ranson Hawken in 50cal, distinguishable by the 'funky' patch box which is different than the Investarms and T/C. Mine shoots better than I can and with more fine tuning it will be even better. They seem to be a good rifle. Will post a pic of mine soon, am at work at the moment and cant access fototime.
Cheers, Smokey.

Gday Smokey,
Good to see a few of us on here.
i am getting this on as an Xmas pressie to myself but also as a backup to my flint.
I have to wait for the PTA to come in and I will hopefully be able to take it hame around Xmas.
Will let you know how it goes,

Cheers

Smokey and Windwalker-
what size caps do yours take and are nipples for them easy to get?

Cheers

V

They are designed to run #11 caps but I understand you can convert them to the bigger musket caps. The #11 caps are fiddly little things but they work well. I find Remington caps more reliable than CCI caps.
Alan at Green River Rifle Works in South Australia has everything you might need for BP (I assume you're in Australia) . They're very knowledgable & easy to get along with, they're also on the net.
Smokey.

"...the discussion on used guns and used girlfriends is pretty much the same.I comes down to when you find one of them single after 20 years, no matter how good she looks, someone out there is tired of their behaviour."

That's pretty good. Mind if I steal it? Seriously though, I see some nice used MLoaders for sale that were obviously dumped by the previous owner in favor of a shiny, new, I***** gun. I have to restrain myself all the time from buying them since I already have more than I can justify.

Latest posts

Back