• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is this lead flashing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Doing a bit of picking up around the weed/woodline behind the shop and found this. It is very heavy, very flexible, and I can make a mark on the edge with my thumbnail.

I am asking if it is flashing because I am not exactly sure what that is. I am hoping it is lead regardless of its name. Is there a way to test it? I have a use other than the roof for it.

Thank you

Last edited:
a picture is worth a thousand words

but I will go out on a limb and say if it came from a roof and you can mar the metal with a fingernail scratch....you got lead

If it is really heavy compared to what your brain was expecting, that is another clue.

Cut a hunk off and see if it melts at 621-720 degrees. If so you got lead. If it needs to go up to 750 or higher you got lead alloy that is also likely to be good to go.

If it melts at 340-420, you got pewter.

Attachments

• 20231013_125026.jpg
    20231013_125026.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Yes sir, that's good soft lead right there 👍
Thanks for the confirmation. I will take a closer look and see if there is any more. I was just poking around for any big rocks before I run the mower over the weeds to push them back to the tree line. Found some oil filters, vintage beer cans, old shingles, and the lead covered in mud. The picture is after I sprayed it off with the hose. I see some fluxing in my future.

Back