• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone ID this original gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maestro

Reaction score
This is my brother's gun and I was wondering if anyone could provide any information about it:

December%202007%20022.JPG

December%202007%20023.JPG

December%202007%20025.JPG

December%202007%20026.JPG

December%202007%20028.JPG

December%202007%20027.JPG

Thanks for any info!

Your brother has what is generically called a New England Militia Musket. They were private purchase muskets patterned after the English Brown Bess, usually US standard .69 caliber, made from about 1790 - 1825. Very popular in Massachusetts. They are fairly common and yours has had the brass, Brown Bess style forend cap replaced with a crude, iron barrel band. Converted to percussion they generally sell for around $600 today. Looks like someone has added a piece of hanging lamp chain for a sling?

VM06, you are right on with the fixture chain info. I've hung hundreds of fixtures with that style chain. I wouldn't think it would be too user-friendly on the musket though. Emery

Geraldo said:
Looks like someone has added a piece of hanging lamp chain for a sling?

Or to hang it on the wall?

Yep... my brother's had it hanging on his wall with that lamp chain. :haha: I told him I had some online buddies that might be able to identify it.

Thanks for the input so far!

I think I'll guess a converted 2nd Type Marine Musket with a LOT of extras! That chain is a real hoot!

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Can you show the markings (if any) on the breech of the barrel?

I didn't see any (except for the "J. Crane" on the lock evident in the photo) but I'll ask him to check it over again. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back