• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone help me Identify the year of manufacture?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman0125

40 Cal
Reaction score
I picked up an Authentic Colt Dragoon today that has lots of wear. The serial number is 1312A . Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture and what series it is, and what generation it is? Thanks. First to reply I will tell you what I paid for it. Thanks!
image.jpg
image.jpg

I don’t know much about numbers and years of manufacture. I’m looking at your box primarily. Is that a colt that was made in the early 2980s or so as a continuation of their 1851? There were a few years when that made ‘origanals’

IMO, it looks to be a 2nd or 3rd generation replica...… Identical but for the 3rd generation gun's "Sam Colt" signature on the backstrap.

The 2nd Generation versions were manufactured during the 1970s and '80s; the 3rd Generation versions were made during the 1990s and into the very early 2000s.

The Signature revolvers bear only Colt markings—no import or proof marks

The parts for the those were cast in Italy, then shipped to the US, where they were fully assembled and hand-finished using the proprietary Colt formulas for bluing and color-casehardening.

The Italian origin of the raw parts for these revolvers is cause of some disagreement on their authenticity, but the Colt Black Powder Arms Company Signature Series revolvers are regarded as authentic Colt pistols.

Ok so it is a 3rd Generation Colt Dragoon then because mine does have Sam Colts name on the back strap. I think I saw some printed material in the box printed 1996, so I’d say 1996 is probably correct. I bought this gun for 200.00 cash.

Did Colt ever issue any distressed signature models? Trying to determine if this is natural wear from a reenactor or if this revolver was made to look like it’s been through war and beat to hell because the backstrap and trigger guard are damned near mint, while the rest of the gun looks like John Bell Hood himself owned it. It is missing the loading lever screw and the wedge screw but I have some factory Colt replacements on order.

image.jpg

I have a 2nd Gen Colt Navy made in 1971 that is nicely worn from much use/carrying. The silver plating on the trigger guard and back strap is worn thru to the copper plating below in a few places, honest wear that matches 50 years worth of use to the metal. A mint trigger guard and back strap with aged metal would raise doubts about honest wear. YMMV

That is why I’m thinking it could be a distressed model. However this thing looks well used. All the numbers match so it has not been replaced. I’m thinking this was used by a reenactor, due to the amount of wear, or it was used as a truck gun, or maybe it was a distressed model as I’ve seen Uberti do with some of their releases.

Did Colt ever issue any distressed signature models? Trying to determine if this is natural wear from a reenactor or if this revolver was made to look like it’s been through war and beat to hell because the backstrap and trigger guard are damned near mint, while the rest of the gun looks like John Bell Hood himself owned it. It is missing the loading lever screw and the wedge screw but I have some factory Colt replacements on order.

View attachment 78254

Yes definitely third generation signature series. See the attached from a 1998 Colt BP firearms catalog. The description and price page will direct you to first or second model. I've seen quite a few of these 2nd and 3rd gen colts and catalogs and I have never seen a distressed model from the factory. BUT I have to date not seen everything !

Thanks
O.R

Attachments

• A COLT.jpg
    A COLT.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 63
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Colt 22.jpg
    Colt 22.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 55