• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Cooking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Brooks

32 Cal.
Reaction score
These probably won't fly at an authentic reenactment but they work good on Western Oregon hunting trips when its rained all day. They are simple enough I'm sure many of you have done something similar.
1) Dutch Oven Chicken stew:
Fry chicken up in a Dutch oven until brown, remove the chicken and when the oven is cool enough add water to dissolve the drippings, wash and slice potatos and add to the water. Cook the taters and add cream of chicken soup, or cream of mushroom, or my favorite mushroomy cream of chicken. Add whatever veggies you like and let cook. WARNING, if you add frozen peas do it at the end of the cooking, too long in the oven makes them mushy sickly sweet and that flavor winds up in the whole meal. I pre cook this at home where its warm and dry and freeze in plastic containers. At camp just add the frozen meals to the Dutch oven and warm up. Its not French cuisine but its filling, tastes good to me, and an easy camp meal when prepared before hand. You can vary the recipe to your own taste.
2) Burritos:
Breakfast burritos use sausage, lunch or dinner burritos use ground beef. There is no determined recipe for burritos, cheese, rice, potatos, peppers, salsa, eggs, seasonings, whatever. Cook them and let them cool. Wrap in foil, chop up celery and include the chopped celery in a second wrapping of foil. Freeze the wrapped burritos and then when you're on your camping trip heat them up by the campfire or in a dutch oven. The celery will help to prevent scorching the burrito from too hot a fire (No guarantee as I have proven over and over). Throw the foil away and you've done the dishes. I have tried ground turkey to be a little more on the healthy side, and went right back to the red meat.
3) I'm working on using Bobeli pizza shells in a Dutch oven to make pizza but haven't found the right amount of charcoal to use without burning the pizza. I do know you want more heat from the top than the bottom. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have baked biscuits and pot pie in a do, you must get the lid hot by laying it in the coals or above the flames, place on the do then lay coals atop to bake.
sweet potatos are a favorite, wash/clean them and trim off the ends. pack into the do and place on some coals not too hot, place lots of coals atop. skewer sausages on forked green sticks and roast while the 'taters cook. a pot of lentils with onion is good with this.

I'm working on using Bobeli pizza shells in a Dutch oven to make pizza but haven't found the right amount of charcoal to use without burning the pizza. I do know you want more heat from the top than the bottom. Any advice would be appreciated.
Find a round metal cake pan that fits inside your dutch oven. Put a few small stones into the bottom of your dutch oven and place the cake pan on top of the stones so that it doesn't rest directly on the bottom. Works great when you need heat on the bottom but scorching is a problem.

Other than that, as you already know, reduce the coals under the bottom. Twice as many on top as underneath is probably a good starting point.

Mr.Brooks said:
I pre cook this at home where its warm and dry and freeze in plastic containers. At camp just add the frozen meals to the Dutch oven and warm up.

I do ALOT of that, Freezer bags are great, and help keep the cooler cold.

I know it ain't pc, but there are so many events we participate in, and with no-one in camp to prepare meals, I like to keep prep time to a minimum.
Usually Sat eve is time for a good pc prep meal, if it's not a pot-luck deal.

make up your basic beef stew, even useing hamburger does well for this. use Lipton garlic and herb soup mix as a seasoning and dump in a can of mushroom soup, shake the hot sauce bottle a few licks over and scatter on a little flour stir all up over a medium/low fire until simmerring while getting the lid HOT.
lay biscuit dough (thawed frozen is fine for this) atop the stew place lid on and pile coals atop for 20 minutes. make sure lid is hot and the fire under the stew is no more than medium/low to prevent scorching. very good and a side dish is buttered stewed beets, greens/spinach or steamed/fried squash or other veggie makes a fine and wholesome meal.
wash down with whiskey or rum. :wink:

Blizzard of 93 said:
make sure lid is hot and the fire under the stew is no more than medium/low to prevent scorching. Wash down with whiskey or rum.
Blizzard,
Maybe I am just a bit dim or maybe uninformed,but how do you know when the fire under
the stew is medium/low.Is not that determined by
what is going on in the pot???? I personally would
wash down with bourbon...but to each his own.

that's right snake. just gauge by the boil in the pot. just a low simmer is what you want. any hotter and the broth will scorch to the bottom. most of the heat should be atop the d.o. lid to brown the biscuit dough.
to each his own for the beverage.

When the flame tips are burning blue in color. Its HOT. normally to hot for a braai (BBQ) You'll burn the food you'r cooking.
When the blue flames have died down and there is only red or orange. Its perfect for cooking meat of stews. If you find food burning. just raise the pot or BBQ grid higher... further away from the heat when cooking.

Snake eyes, I tell the heat of the cook fire by counting seconds. I will put the palm of my hand where the cook pot or food will go and start counting. If I can get to 5 or 6 seconds I call that a cool fire. If I only make it to 3 or 4 seconds that is a medium fire. If I only make it to one or two seconds that is a Hot fire. Obviously you will have to calibrate your own hand. :blah:

Many Klatch

Many Klatch,
Thanks for your input....I will tell you
outright,that between the MLF and other forums I
belong to....I take in information and,process
it and go from there. On occasion I process
wrong.That is my problem,and I deal with it.But
I appreciate all answers to my questions....
Thanks

Latest posts

Back