• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Chairs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbbgood

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for the blueprints for the wooden chairs I see in camps at the Rondezvous. They come apart and store inside the big part of the chair. Pic's would help to identify them. Anyone know where I can get the blueprints?

kbbgood said:
I am looking for the blueprints for the wooden chairs I see in camps at the Rondezvous. They come apart and store inside the big part of the chair. Pic's would help to identify them. Anyone know where I can get the blueprints?
Beware at which events you use these chairs - they are not really a historical pattern.

Make a few of these instead. Documented and easy to make...

Beware at which events you use these chairs - they are not really a historical pattern.

Most ronnys, of all types, allow items of medical necessity for attendees. At advanced ages, a chair with a back rest becomes, very much, a necessity for most.
I used the scout pattern in the link CC provided. However, I altered the dimensions to fit my body and reduce size/weight as much as possible. It is very comfortable and a blessing to have at a walk around event like ronny. FWIW, I used white ash for the frame and fir for the slats. Very light and very strong.

Those stools are great....Especially for guests, after 20 minutes their butt begins to hurt and they get up and go home.....Myself, I want a chair I can fall asleep in. Like this.

lc_1.jpg

Years ago at Rondy guys would sell these chairs as kits....Made of oak....all you had to do was screw it together and varnish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two basic types of events. Most "ronnys" allow all kinds of historically questionable gear - the standard is generally "olde timey". "Juried" and "reenactment" events try to hold things to a more historically correct standard (some more successfully than others). Both types of events can be fun but one needs to confirm the type of event and the local standards before simply showing up. Gear that gets applause at one event may not be allowed at another.

Coot said:
There are two basic types of events. Most "ronnys" allow all kinds of historically questionable gear - the standard is generally "olde timey". "Juried" and "reenactment" events try to hold things to a more historically correct standard (some more successfully than others). Both types of events can be fun but one needs to confirm the type of event and the local standards before simply showing up. Gear that gets applause at one event may not be allowed at another.

Yes, I understand. I never attended a juried event. These days I would consider them discriminatory against aged or infirm people. Back in the day the people these events try to emulate were often dead by age 45. And, I'm sure many were laid up before that from various causes at much younger ages. The non-juried events still have many attendees who strive to be 100% pc and I applaud them. Others may not be 100% but still keep alive the spirit of remembering our history, for that, I also heartily applaud them. :applause:

Rifleman1776 said:
These days I would consider them discriminatory against aged or infirm people.
One can still achieve a high level of HC/PC without causing undue discomfort or at least equal to the level of comfort one can achieve by using items that aren't HC/PC. No one is going to complain about a HC/PC chair at a juried event and no one is forcing you to sit on the ground (as has been your contention in several of these dicussions). So why not use an item that is PC/HC?

BTW - people did live well into their 70s & 80s even then (infant & childhood mortality were high, but if one survived, their chance or reaching old age were good unless killed during conflicts). Boone was trapping and hunting into his 70s. So to dismiss the PC/HC aspect because they were often dead by age 45 is a straw man...

:idunno: :idunno:

I don’t use them but I don’t get my breechclot in a wad over seeing them. Seeing other folk sitting in them doesn’t ruin an event for me.
However, if you don’t own them and you have to buy or build a chair why not get an HC chair?
I do have to take exception with long lives back then. A little check of history will reveal a lot of old folks, however they were rare. Just go to an old cemetery, look at anyone who died before 1900 and start checking out birth days. You will find some 70,80,90 year olds, but a lot, lot more, 40-50 year olds
Working in critical care I see a lot of life threatening conditions starting in the forties.
Every now and then you get the seventy even eighty year old with no medical history, not on any meds.
All the fourty fifty sixty year olds you know that take meds for B/P, Heart problems, cholesterol or diabetes died young before 1900.

At the 2002 Southeastern, A guy across from my camp, drunk, Sat down in one of those, somehow got a finger in where the two halves form a scissor, and the chair cut his finger off. He was back the next day with his reattached finger bound up more than a mummy. Be careful!

Wick Ellerbe said:
At the 2002 Southeastern, A guy across from my camp, drunk, Sat down in one of those, somehow got a finger in where the two halves form a scissor, and the chair cut his finger off. He was back the next day with his reattached finger bound up more than a mummy. Be careful!

Lucky for him he wasn't wearing a loin cloth, the damage could have been much worse.... :haha:

Black Hand said:
One can still achieve a high level of HC/PC without causing undue discomfort or at least equal to the level of comfort one can achieve by using items that aren't HC/PC. No one is going to complain about a HC/PC chair at a juried event and no one is forcing you to sit on the ground So why not use an item that is PC/HC?

:thumbsup:

And of the proper style & design, are PC/HC.

Now - you wouldn't have one on a scout or hunt, but at a large event, one could work under the premise that the family was moving their worldly goods to a prospective homestead, making such a chair plausible. As a matter of fact, a chair is far more plausible than a big, white canvas tent (in a civilian, non-wealthy person context)...

Some things like that are easily explained. Most events have some sort of Saturday night camp feed. My cooking kit for one guy is pretty light. And I can get lighter. However enough stuff to cook for several is handy, you can explain, “i’m Have more gear here then would be used by one guy, but it’s period and I use it for bigger meal.
We mostly have tents, not brush shelters, again we have time correct items even though a real person or small group would throw up a shelter if needed.
We can point out our chair fits our back well although only the wealthy or a family with a wagon were likely to have such a chair.

tenngun said:
We can point out our chair fits our back well although only the wealthy or a family with a wagon were likely to have such a chair.
I agree, to a point. I suspect that not all those moving West were dirt-poor and utterly destitute, having only the clothes on their back and a few other necessities. A chair could be tied to a pack animal - I can see a pair of chairs, one on each side with a parcel tied to the seat/back (much like panniers).

Back