• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Chairs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some slat back chairs or some Windsor chairs can be turned upside down and used as the basis for a pack frame. This is usually when a family is moving to the frontier and don't want to leave all the old family material goods behind.

If my memory serves me the plans I have it takes around a 11" wide board to make the curved legs. The waste of wood is not an issue for me. I use the scraps for kindling or for smoking meat.

They do make you sit farther back and can be a little more difficult for getting up.

I did not know that they were supposed to nest together when I made mine, and I make a mistake and mine wont nest together.

Fleener

Period Correct or PC usually deals with when an article was in existence.

For instance, the percussion ignition system wasn't a real success and available to the general public until about 1816. It didn't really catch on until around 1820-1830 so, if someone was wearing a American Revolutionary War outfit and carrying a percussion rifle the rifle would not be PC.

Another example to carry things to the extreme is a Phillips head screw.
The Phillips head screw wasn't invented until 1932 and Cadillac was the first company to use them so, if one was on a gun made before that year or a muzzleloading rifle (real or replica) it would not be PC.

Historically Correct or HC is a bit harder to explain.

I use the term to describe items that were actually used at some event that is being reinacted.

For instance, although fireplace andiron's were common before the French Indian War began, people reinacting the battle at Washington's "Fort Necessary" with andirons sitting alongside the campfires would be making a HC mistake.

In other words, although something existed, it also must have been present at the time and place to be Historically Correct.

(OK reinactors, have at me. :) )

Black Hand said:
kbbgood said:
I am looking for the blueprints for the wooden chairs I see in camps at the Rondezvous. They come apart and store inside the big part of the chair. Pic's would help to identify them. Anyone know where I can get the blueprints?
Beware at which events you use these chairs - they are not really a historical pattern.

Make a few of these instead. Documented and easy to make...

If a guy made the flat pack chair with stripped maple wood, and finished like a gunstock, then made the seat and back with natural color hemp canvas he just might be able to claim his handiwork authentic.

The use of period materials and finishes to make a modern chair still results in a modern chair....

Hc pc should be our goal. And if your going to invest the time to make a chair out of real nice material why not make it correct for the time... it doesn’t require any more effort.
However a counter point to that is we live in this modren world. You won’t see slit trenches, or six men sharing a wedge tent. You won’t see people dressing outside of their tent.
Our camps have more candle lanterns, more forks and plates, more tooth brushes and glasses then one would see then.

tenngun said:
Hc pc should be our goal. And if your going to invest the time to make a chair out of real nice material why not make it correct for the time... it doesn’t require any more effort.
However a counter point to that is we live in this modren world. You won’t see slit trenches, or six men sharing a wedge tent. You won’t see people dressing outside of their tent.
Our camps have more candle lanterns, more forks and plates, more tooth brushes and glasses then one would see then.

We also see more white women, children and older people than "then". Rarely see mules, Indian ponies, travois, etc. I did see an ox drawn large sled at ronny once.

I keep going back to Fig. 1 and Fig. 2 in the original French drawings of two folding chairs in this link: http://www.livinghistoryshop.com/category/18th-century-furniture/

It seems to me in the first two Fig.'s that it is showing the frame of a folding stool with a back and it is just showing the frame without the fabric or leather covered seat?

It also seems to me whoever drew the first four figures of the two folding stool/chair was not an actual woodworker? This because unless there is some kind of metal strap support, the back side pieces would not hold up to the stress of someone sitting in the chair?

It seems to me that if the folding chair was made of wood, then it would more likely have side pieces for the back like the one shown in the bottom of this link?
http://vcr-inc.com/wp/

BTW, I am not affiliated with either woodworker I linked above.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Back