• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

One Or Two Bores For Everything?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
A thread from earlier this week got me thinking. Why not have just one or two bore sizes for all of my muzzleloaders. It would make range trips a lot less of a hassle. So I've settled on .54 caliber and 12 bore for everything. I already have both right now, I just want to add a flintlock. What do you think? This doesn't include revolvers, of course. Thanks

Ain’t nothing your .54 can kill your twelve bore won’t 😊
Well said,tenngun! I'm pretty happy with my .58 smoothbore (24 gauge); fine shot, buckshot or round ball, it'll handle whatever come up. I do have a .50 and a .54 also, but, a good smoothbore will get the job done in most cases. I can understand folks needing to depend on a rifle if they're living in more open country, shots are longer, I get that. I grew up shooting deer with a smoothbore 12 pump gun loaded with rifled slugs, 'cuz the law said we had to - it sucked! But that was back in the 60's and we killed deer OK with them. Here, in the heavy woodlands of western NY a smoothbore in my hands is like coming home again! LOL! @andy52, you won't need more than what ya' already got.......but, sometimes "want" wins out over "need"!

would make life simpler.
BUT. one always needs a fast twist for conical. then one needs the slow twist for PRB.
then one needs a pair of long rifles in any one caliber.
then one needs a Hawken style for traipsing over hill and dale.
then one needs matching bores, one rifled, one smooth.
then one needs all the above in both flint and cap.
Hi! my name is deerstalker and i am an addict!

A thread from earlier this week got me thinking. Why not have just one or two bore sizes for all of my muzzleloaders. It would make range trips a lot less of a hassle. So I've settled on .54 caliber and 12 bore for everything. I already have both right now, I just want to add a flintlock. What do you think? This doesn't include revolvers, of course. Thanks
HERESY!

You need a gun for every size animal in 50 lb increments and for each mode of movement the animal makes.

Now let me get back to gun safe shopping.

been thinking about more gun storage my self
1680896503446.png

Who just wants to guns

My plan right now is a 45 rifle for plinking and killing paper and a 62 hunting rifle to bookend my 54 rifle. All flint. I’m a roundball shooter for the most part. Then we will see where it goes from there. Likely a 69 cal rifle.... or maybe a 72...

I could bring it to two. One 40 or 45 for targets and small game and one 54 or 58 for big game......... but no, not going to do it. I need a couple loaners and even though I'm adding a 40, I'm keeping the 45.

I started with a .45 in 1975, thought it would be my do all caliber...Ended up making a .54 in the '80s and rebarreled the .45 to a .40...So far, no complaints, although I do have a WoodsRunner ordered, also in .54...Guess I need a fowler but haven't gotten around to one... :)

I would go for a 36 for target, plinking, and small game. Then a 20 gauge for large animals and shooting things that are moving.

Latest posts

Back