• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Blue Ridge and Pedersoli frontier rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, The Blue Ridge is made by Pedersoli. The only difference is the Frontier may have some better wood and maybe a bit better wood to metal fitting. But i don't think there is enough difference to pay the higher price for the Frontier.

Captain, try $165.00. Cabela's is having a sale. I agree with Rebel. I've seen a couple of Frontier rifles. My Blue Ridge is the equal of any of them. They are identical. When quality and dollars count, go with the Blue Ridge. :thumbsup:

Sorry Captain. You are right. The $409 was for the .36 cal., not the .32. You may want to consider the .36 cal. and save more money? :hmm:

cowpoke1955 said:
Sorry Captain. You are right. The $409 was for the .36 cal., not the .32. You may want to consider the .36 cal. and save more money? :hmm:
It's gonna wait until tax return time so the sale will most likely be over anyways. So assuming price is the same for both .36 and .32., What caliber would you choose for groundhogs, tree-rats, and the occassional coon, possum, or cat in the trash can, and why? And how will either one perform at around 100 yrds? Where I shoot groundhogs there's alot of open field and not much to hide behind to get close. 75-100 yrds is a pretty normal shot

Josh

Rebel said:
Yes, The Blue Ridge is made by Pedersoli. The only difference is the Frontier may have some better wood and maybe a bit better wood to metal fitting. But i don't think there is enough difference to pay the higher price for the Frontier.

They are the same gun and the fit and finish is great on the blue ridge rifles, as well as the wood.

Do you really think that Pedersoli would change the quality of a gun just to sell it to a different vender? :youcrazy:
That would ruin their name because quality is everything in QUALITY guns like the pedersoli guns........

I have a Blue Ridge .50 flinter and its wood has more figure in the entire stock than a Weatherby rifle! I am sure that it is just like any rifle maker, you get whatever is on the gun - some really figured and some not so figured and a bunch in between.

Not sure about the difference between a .32 and a .36 cal. The smallest rifle I have is a .45 cal. I'm sure the folks in here can give you a little insight as to the pros and cons of each. As for the sale, just keep your eyes open and your fingers crossed.

captain
I have 2 Blueridge rifles .50 & .36 both good shooters . If you are going to be doing a lot of 100 yrd shooting I would not go smaller than the .36 and thats about
stretching it to its max . .45 would be a little better .Smaller the calibar the more wind drift .
Just my 2 cents
But then I shoot a .54 or .62 smoothbore for most things
Slenk

Slenk said:
captain
I have 2 Blueridge rifles .50 & .36 both good shooters . If you are going to be doing a lot of 100 yrd shooting I would not go smaller than the .36 and thats about
stretching it to its max . .45 would be a little better .Smaller the calibar the more wind drift .
Just my 2 cents
But then I shoot a .54 or .62 smoothbore for most things
Slenk
this will be my first small cal. rifle. I like my .54s. But for tree rats I want something a little smaller. If neither the .36 or .32 are that great at 75-100 yrds I'll just use my .54 for groundhogs. Which one is a better cal. for squirrels? Is there alot more meat damage with a .36 as opposed to a .32?

Josh

captain
I can't tell you how much more meat damage there would be . I don't think much more . Most guys try for head shots on squirles I think . Can't really say as we can't hunt squirles out here . have got some big grays though . I do know that the .32 I had was APITA to clean more so than the .36.
I use my .36 for rock chucks,coyotes, (put the dogs down pretty good) targets and such . Nice and cheap to shoot 30-35 gr. 3f and I use 000 buckshot , buy the bulk#5 bags or cast my own .
Slenk

Can't hunt tree rats? :shocked2: Thats downright unAmerican :shake: . Yup head shots are nice and thats where I usually shoot them now since my grandpa died (he liked the brains :youcrazy: ). But on the "rare occassion" :haha: I'm a little off it would be nice if the little bugger didn't explode. I also never thought about difficulty of cleaning. And shooting 000 buck sounds purty cheap :hmm:

Josh

Can't hunt tree rats? Thats downright unAmerican :shake:
Yup what can I say this is Washington State . Don't know why my ancestors came here
from Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, & S.Dakota .I really envy you fellas that have good squirl hunting . OOO buckshot is .350 just right for the .36 cal
Slenk

well I don't think I know of anywhere that squirrels are endangered :confused: . Must be a "don't shoot'em cause they're cute" law :shake:

Josh

I would go with the 36cal as it less vunerable to the windout past 25yds I have the blue ridge in 36cal and can kill steel prarie dogs at 100yds with it

paw said:
I would go with the 36cal as it less vunerable to the windout past 25yds I have the blue ridge in 36cal and can kill steel prarie dogs at 100yds with it
is it to much gun for squirrels though? this will be mainly a tree rat gun. 100 yrd groundhogs are secondary.

Josh

Personally I don't think so . I am on other forum where they are talking of using .36cal. Most of the guys talk about head shots or mid body they say there is no meat there any way . Having owned both I would go with the .36 myself.
Slenk

When I got My .32 Blue Ridge from Cabela's I was wondering if it was the same gun. I peeled the sticker off the box and reveiled the pedersoli sticker. It was a frontier sticker. Exact same gun.

I use it for squirrels but only got one so far. Real close shot. Not a head shot. So it did a little damage. .32 at close range is still .32 not a .22. As for the long shots. I live in the city so don't get to shoot much. But I feel if I had a chance to work with it, it would be consistant in the 75+ yards range.

Blue ridge is a good gun.

SF

My first choice would actually be a .40 cal. It will shoot good & flat & buck the wind better for a 100 yard shot, much more so than the .36 & especially the .32
The .32 is too dang little for me & y fat fingers with it is cold out.
I have a .36 with a Getz barrel I hunt squirrels with & it does great for that.
I have a .38 cal with a Goodoien barrel I have hunted squirrels with. It is the most accurate rifle I have of all rifles.
I have a .40 with a Colerain barrel I have squirrel hunted with also, it does great too & a little easier to load, clean & etc. cause it is a slightly larger bore. (for me anyway)

As for meat damage, I don't eat squirrel heads so there is no meat damage with either one, it is either a hit or a miss.........

Were it me ? I would go for a .40 if it is avail, 36 being the second choice. As for cost to shoot. come on........ you can buy 1000 .40 cal bullets CHEAP ( from Eddie May, in Georgia) & it only takes ? 20-25 grains of 3F Swiss to shoot squirrels with any of the 3 calibers...... Swiss is Awesome powder for a small bore. You can just shoot & shoot & shoot with a good liquid lube & never swab the bore........
:thumbsup:

I too would go with the .36 cal. I have a .32 and it's a PITA to clean and the ball is sooo small. That being said, I've hunted squirrels for years with my .45 flinter. I either take head shot or gut shots. Just stay away from the front or hind quarters and you'll save the meat.

Back