• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Maybe the problem is just a pop-up on the site that keeps blocking out the shooting tab. I was planning to look in to getting some sort of flintlock long gun next month or so, and it appeared that Cabela's had some good prices on Pedersoli guns. The nearest Cabela's is three hundred miles from here so maybe I'll look into alternatives, especially if they don't have anything in stock.

Don't waste your time on Cabelas. I tried to buy a .50 cal Bluefield long rifle or what ever its called. They kept telling me it was in stock at a store 90 miles from me. The store even told me it was in stock. So I drive 90 miles, and when I get there, no one knew anything about it. All they had at that store was a Hawken type rifle. I spent an hour and a half waiting while they tried to find the Bluefield. I finally gave up, and drove 90 miles back home.
Never again will I try to buy a gun from Cabelas.
Thing is that gun was in stock in Pennsylvania stores but they wouldn't ship one to my Wisconsin store.
This all happened late last September.
Done with Cabelas.

Dave

Don't waste your time on Cabelas. I tried to buy a .50 cal Bluefield long rifle or what ever its called. They kept telling me it was in stock at a store 90 miles from me. The store even told me it was in stock. So I drive 90 miles, and when I get there, no one knew anything about it. All they had at that store was a Hawken type rifle. I spent an hour and a half waiting while they tried to find the Bluefield. I finally gave up, and drove 90 miles back home.
Never again will I try to buy a gun from Cabelas.
Thing is that gun was in stock in Pennsylvania stores but they wouldn't ship one to my Wisconsin store.
This all happened late last September.
Done with Cabelas.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. That's useful to know. I live in Fairbanks, AK and when I was first shopping for a muzzleloader a few years ago I drove down to Anchorage thinking that the new Cabela's there would have selection of traditional muzzleloaders that somewhat resembled what was in the catalog. Turns out they had pretty much nothing but inlines. Kind of disappointing .I ended up ordering a percussion GPR from Dixie Gun Works.

I walked into a Cabela's last year looking for ammunition (.173-4.3mm round ball) for a Pedresoli Parlor Pistol I had purchased from THEM a couple of years earlier. I was treated like I walked in with a loaded grenade at the front desk! Mind you, this is a percussion-cap fired lead BB pistol with a removable breech (with the breech out) that fits in the palm of your hand! After being accosted by multiple employees, one guy arrived who actually remembered the little pistol. I was determined NOT to be a terrorist and allowed to proceed to the "gun desk" only to be informed that they no longer carried the ammo. I won't be going there again anytime soon!

Overrated and way overpriced, shop local gun stores, The one I use if they do not have it, they try there damest to get it, if they cannot get it they will call you and say so, put you on a list when it is available you get a phone call. The problem with Cabela's is they think if you made the trip to buy a specific item advertised as in stock and it's not there O well you will buy something else anyway, Was in a Cabela's store in south Dakota on my way home from a Wyoming mule deer trip and decided to buy a couple bore snakes for un-mentionable guns, ask a clerk if they had them all I got was yea somewhere over that way. Turned around and left. You want premium prices for items I want premium service.

the local hardware store had a BETTER black powder display than cabela's. this was 2 years before covid. have not been back. mostly modern . Nothing in the traditional selection. very disappointed. not worth the 100 mile drive. used to be a great store. maybe have to go to the Track instead.

Last edited:
Went to one in Hamburg, PA in December. They had very little in traditional muzzleloading arms and supplies.

Everything was inline, which in my opinion is BORING!

Extremely depressing experience, and much different from my previous visit 2 years ago.

I’ll stick to privately owned gun store
and muzzleloading shops.

Stopped going to the one in Eugene OR altogether. Used to be very nice but now staffed with your choice of ignorant or arrogant workers manning the empty shelves.

You cannot blame them. There goal is to make money and if the market is in modern BP, that is where they are going to concentrate. If the traditional market is drying up, gotta put the blame where it falls.

Unfortunately times change.

Thank goodness for the www. places to shop.

Some of the places who sell traditional BP no longer offer catalogs. Think about that.

Last edited:
Starting when J Morris took over Cabelas, good things seem to have gone down the toilet! My only gun buying experience was the last one. One hour and fifteen minutes later after paying was I able to leave with the firearm. Never again! This was in Green Bay Wi.

Used to go to the one in westbroke maine. Picked up a nice "used" pedersoli 1853 Enfield. Cheap, but that was years ago
The one in Memphis tenn is a joke

Went to one in Hamburg, PA in December. They had very little in traditional muzzleloading arms and supplies.

Everything was inline, which in my opinion is BORING!

Extremely depressing experience, and much different from my previous visit 2 years ago.

I’ll stick to privately owned gun store
and muzzleloading shops.
I'm assuming you were up to Dixon's, up near Kempton; it's a popular thing to go to Dixon's, then drive west to Cabela's Hamburg and maybe stop at the Cigar mega-store. I won't bother with Cabela's next time I'm up at Dixon's, the July Gun Maker's Fair is couple miles north of Dixon's on that same road, at the Kempton Community Center, last FULL weekend in July; had been shut down two years for the covid thing.

Back