• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Bargain cave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poor Private

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I just came back from our local Cabela's. In the bargain cave they had several Black Powder Pistols. All were factory refurbished and sold as used. Must be when returned because of a problem they are clasified as used(?). They had 4 pistols all together- 1862 police, 1851 engraved with white grips, a dragoon, and what interested me was a Dance Bros. They sell them "as is", with a no return policy. My questions are- has anyone have experince with the bargain cave pistols, and how good are these guns? The Dance is $235, but if I go to the retail counter they sell them for $299 new. What are my expectations, and is this really a bargain or not?

In our local Cabelas bargin cave you can dicker the price down.
And there's always a few C&B revolvers in there mostly just returned gifts that folks didn't want.
"As is" wouldn't scare me in/of itself,, but of the four you list the Dance an Brothers is one I'd pass on as used when another $60 would get me the warenty just because they have somewhat complicated internals,, I've never had one but I've looked at the schematics and they seem to have a lot of extra stuff in there.

I have a Dance Bros. -- slab-sided Colt basically.

If that gun excites you consider it. But "as is" for only $60 less from a store is a little weak. Ask the circumstances of why its there and see if it really is a bargain...

Poor Private said:
I just came back from our local Cabela's. In the bargain cave they had several Black Powder Pistols. All were factory refurbished and sold as used. Must be when returned because of a problem they are clasified as used(?). They had 4 pistols all together- 1862 police, 1851 engraved with white grips, a dragoon, and what interested me was a Dance Bros. They sell them "as is", with a no return policy. My questions are- has anyone have experince with the bargain cave pistols, and how good are these guns? The Dance is $235, but if I go to the retail counter they sell them for $299 new. What are my expectations, and is this really a bargain or not?

emphasis added

I'd be leery ... this could get you a pretty expensive paperweight

But Cabelas no longer stands behind the percussion revolvers they sell. You pays your money and takes your chances.
If the Dance sounds right when you slowly cock it, if the alignment visually passes muster, if the revolver disassembles correctly without the factory having screwed up slot end of the arbor, if the alignment looks good (look down the barrel with a bright light shining in the cylinder gap), if visual inspection does not show screwed up chambers, then I would have to seriously consider it.

I bought their .36 caliber 1851 navy from a bargain cave in Hammond, IN. It is the blued one with the engraving and the faux ivory grips. Hiccock would have loved it. The gun was marked down to $89.00. Using my points I walked out of the store paying the princely sum of $49.00. I saw no blemishes. Fit and finish are perfect. The gun looked unfired. Lock up was solid. Trigger and hammer were crisp. I asked at least three times are you sure this price is correct and why is it being returned? He did not know why the gun was returned and assured me the price was correct. I have put at least 250 rounds through it. When I go shooting it is my first revolver I grab. It shoots high as expected but at 15 yards I can point shoot pop cans 4 & 5 out of 6. I have no complaints. It's my favorite. Nothing points like an 1851 navy. The first place I go now at Cabela's is the bargain cave. good luck.

Hammond? Not really, it's closer to Highland. It's where Woodmare Country Club used to be. Spent many a summer there as a kid trying to make a buck as a caddy. Earned 75 cents plus tips for caddying 18 holes. It's there I learned to hate golf and especially golfers. I also learned a 7 iron will kill an aggressive goose,,,,,,, and also get you fired.

Hammond? Not really, it's closer to Highland.

Actually he asked if the trains still blocked the roads in Hammond, which they do.

He did not ask about trains at Cabelas close to Highland.

Most of the guns I have seen at Cabela's Bargain cave have been over priced and more work to make right then should be for the price. :td:

I find that the best chance to get a good C&B is order it from them mail order.

The ones in the stores in my state are all ones that have been sent back to them I am told.
The ones in the bargain cave are the returns that have come back again.

When I mail order I mostly get a good gun, when I look at the guns in the store they don’t pass my inspection.

Just my experience.

William Alexander

Lets say i can save 50.00 off the sale price sure i would buy one. I am not a collector i am a shooter every gun i buy gets shot. When i buy a new gun the minimum i do is remove the burs and tune the springs and polish the the hand. On Colts i shim and bed the arbor if needed as well as fitting the bolt to the the cylinder if needed. Most all of them need a little work anyhow.

I don't have revolver but if I get one the 1851 .36 is the one I'll get. It's just to bad that I don't have a Cabela's by me, All I have is a Bass Pro Shop, Oh well, at least they have Goex of which I need a can of 4ffff.

Mike

I’m not sure your responds was to me but if so.

Yes I do collected some, and don’t shoot most of them much or at all.

My using guns, I do shoot as much as I can.

The best using guns you can get still need a little work.

Yes I too like to save money.

We both want the best gun for our money.

Armakiller

I have the best luck with Calbelas when I mail order from them.

“if I get one the 1851 .36 is the one I'll get”
My personal favorite too.

:)
William Alexander

Tinker, What i meant by not being a collector is if there are some minor scratches or other small cosmetic flaws they don't bother me. but to a collector it would be a big deal. A lot of collectors keep their guns unfired in their boxes.I meant nothing by it. I end up working on most of my guns so tuning them up is not a big deal. One of the worst cap guns i have bought was a Pietta 60 Army. Out of the box the bolt did not fit the cylinder and the timing was way off. With a little love it is one of my best shooters. 51 Navies (36cal) are great guns to shoot.

Mike

Yup, we are on the same page my friend.

1851 .36 caliber are my favorite, I have worn out 3 of them.

:)
William Alexander

Back