• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Got One Back!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Four years ago, my home was burglarized and the thief got away with 9 of my Cap & Ball pistols.

I had the serial numbers for all of them and gave the information to the Police.

A few months ago I received a letter from the Police department saying they had recovered my Dixie Gunworks 1861 Whitney. It had been sold to a pawn shop.

Because a pawn shop bought it I had to go thru a hearing process to prove I was the rightful owner. Fortunately, I had not only kept the information about the serial number but I had some photos of it and could show that it was entered in my record book long ago. The Officer of the Court decided I had enough information to prove it was mine but I had to wait for the Police to send me a letter giving the storage department authorization to give me the gun.

It doesn't look like anyone tried to fire it but it did get a lot of little dings and dents in the grips. :cursing:

WHITNEY-001web

WHITNEY-010web

I don't know when this gun was made. It has the proof stamps but not the date stamp.
It must have been among the first Whitney's sold by Dixie though. It is serial number 00124.

Here's a list of the guns waiting to be recovered. Please keep an eye open for them.

STOLEN GUNS 4-1-2014

1. Remington Pocket Pistol, .31 cal brass frame s/n 65306
2. Colt 1860 Uberti "Western Arms", .44 cal steel frame s/n A13542
3. Colt 1862 Police model Uberti, .36 cal steel frame s/n 90685
4. Recovered
5. Griswold & Gunnison, .36 cal brass frame, s/n 352898
6. Schneider & Glassic replica (1851 Colt brass frame) bleach rusted & browned, .36 cal s/n302257
7. Remington 1858 "Dixie Gunworks", .44 cal steel frame, s/n 105495
8. Colt 1849 Wells Fargo, CVA .31 cal brass framed blackened, s/n 86954
9. Colt 1851 .36 cal steel frame "fllipietta" s/n 375988

You've given me faint hope. In 1976 I had a Colt Woodsman Match Target stolen. It was an unusual 4" model, of all things. The troopers still have it on their books and I have documentation right down to the original box with the serial # on it, but no dice so far.

It kinda shows the idiot didn't know they were
cap and ball. Must have thought he could sell
them till he found there was no place to load
cartridges.....I m surprised he didn't just play
with them and practice 'fanning like in the movies"

Wulf

Glad you got that pistol back, pard.

To think of it bouncing around in some gang banger's trunk literally makes me ill.

I've been a recent victim of robbery and I know how it feels... it frankly sucks. But we're here to support each other and prove these thieves that there are better people in this world than their disgusting kind.

That's great Zonie!!!

I'm still awaiting a similar call. I had several stolen over 10 years ago. The Sheriff department calls annually asking if any have been recovered. Each time I've told them "no", at which point they tell me they will keep them listed in their system.

I'd sure like to get them back. The dirty skunks even stole my boyhood BB gun! :cursing:

Happy for you, Skychief

PS, go get her dirty! :thumbsup:

Zonie, you were one of the lucky ones; usually they are gone for good. We've been burglarized before and have had other items stolen by sneak thieves. I know the anger and frustration it causes. We never got back anything.

Guns were stolen from my house about ten years ago. I called the police with the information I had and offered to come to them with the information. They flat out refused to even take the serial numbers or the list. I sent the list to about thirty local gun shops and got a call from one once. A guy wanted to trade one of mine but the guy got real screwy and realized something was up when the shop asked for his phone number. I got one gun back. Found it for sale at a yard sale. Paid the asking price so I had the gun and then called the police. The guy was pretty sincere about trading for it at a nearby fish and game with a guy he knew only by a nick name, also who was not a member. I figure the guy was probably telling the truth, If he stold it, he wouldn't set it out for sale three blocks from where it was stolen.

That's great you got one back out of the bunch. :thumbsup: One win for the good guys.
I only build long guns, but if it ever happened to me I can prove its mine. Anyone who builds a rifle, think about it. How many metal parts can you remove on a bench to hide your name or last 4 digits of your SS#, parts that the thief has no idea how to work with? You can even engrave your I.D. on the backside of the bridle. Or on the face of the tab of a ramrod pipe. Pop the pins and what do you know. My name. Well, how did that get in there?
I know. Its not like a barrel stamped with a serial number the cops can work with. And I know, it could take years and dumb luck to find it, but.... If you ever found it for sale in a pawn shop you could prove its yours. I think the cops would be amazed.
Don't mess with my stuff.

That is excellent news ! Even if it is just one for now, others may follow. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stolen firearms/ property are usually in the national computer system, until they are removed. That happens generally only if they are recovered. If something was stolen on the east coast, and recovered on the west coast, the originating agency is notified. The owner/ victim of the loss is notified if possible. The property is returned to the agency for disposition/ returning to the victim.

Serial numbers and photos work. I’ve seen it hundreds of times.

A little bit of faith, a lot of luck, and every once in a while, the Boys in Blue come through.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Guns were stolen from my house about ten years ago. I called the police with the information I had and offered to come to them with the information. They flat out refused to even take the serial numbers or the list..."
-------------

That's strange.

Like DoubleDeuce1 said, the police are supposed to enter the serial numbers of all stolen guns into a National computer system.

The way the police talked when I reported the theft, they treat ALL guns like they were modern centerfire/rimfire even if they are black powder.

Back