• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas 54 hawken percussion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good, bad, or should a guy hold out and spend more on a TC? Im really on the fence on this.

It's basically the same rifle as the Lyman Trade Rifle.
Investarms makes a good rifle. Just look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

In my opinion. The only way T/C is superior to Lyman/Investarms is in their fit and finish. T/C locks seem to be tuned better. However, Lyman/Investarm locks are of good quility. They just sometimes need some internal work to smooth them up a bit. This is rare.

As far as accuracy, Lyman/Investarms will hold it own against a factory T/C barrel. When you put a drop-in Green Mountain barrel on a T/C it becomes a true match-worthy tac driver.

HD

I would pass on both for a Great Plains rifle great value for the dollar and a truely traditional styled gun.

Own both and have had quite a few of both over the years. Think the metal quality is better in the T/C and last I knew T/C still fixes anything for free even if you are not the original owner.

Suggest you consider a used T/C. Try the classified's here, attend gunshows and maybe check pawnshops.

Have seen some great deals on used T/C's, Investarms, Lyman Great Plains, etc. at gunshows.

Either way, all are good guns. :thumbsup:

I've got an inlaw with the Cabelas 54 Hawken, and he's whacked more than a few deer and two elk with it. All one shot kills. He still values and uses it, but went out and bought a GPR 54 after handling and shooting mine. He just liked the style better than what he already had. And he was probably looking for an excuse to buy a new gun.

Both are good, as is the TC, but for my tastes and his, the drop at the comb of the GPR makes them easier to shoot than either of the others. A taste thing. But it's your bucks and your choice, so be sure to get what you want. Best idea is to handle all 3 and see which suits you best, because after that they're all well made and will all do the job for you.

tg said:
I would pass on both for a Great Plains rifle great value for the dollar and a truely traditional styled gun.

I am with TG on this one as well!

I know all are fans of something, but for price and more vintage looks, the GPR carries the torch!

I have a Cabelas percussion Hawken and a flintlock Lyman Trade rifle. I love them both, I prefer them over the Great Plains, personal preference I guess. They just seem to fit me better. Both mine are very accurate with round balls.

Trot said:
I have a Cabelas percussion Hawken and a flintlock Lyman Trade rifle. I love them both, I prefer them over the Great Plains, personal preference I guess. They just seem to fit me better. Both mine are very accurate with round balls.

My first ML was the Cabela .54 Hawken. I guess that's why I have a special place in my heart for it. Plus it's killed some very nice game for me. I have no complaints as far as what I've asked it to do.

It all depends on what you want from it.

Thanks all for your replies, can anyone speak on how well a Cabelas 54 shoots conicals and how it compares with the GPR 54 hunter model?

Check and see if the Cabelas is 1:48 twist. If so, it will handle both round balls and conicals well. The Lyman GPH is 1:32, which is ideal for conicals, but usually a little fast for RBs at top velocities. They'll shoot them fine at moderate velocities up to 50-60 grain powder charges, but above that won't be as accurate with RBs as a slower twist. Many companies provide 1:48 twist barrels specifically because they are a good compromise for shooting both varieties.

Wink said:
Good, bad, or should a guy hold out and spend more on a TC? Im really on the fence on this.

The T/c is really not THAT much more expensive in the scheme of things and YES I would!!!
IF the guns were the same (I know Cabela's warranty and cust service is giood) BUT T/C is an AWRSOME company to do business with!!
They make dang good truely Made in America Guns too. :thumbsup:

Besides what has been mentioned: 1) The TC is made in New Hampshire USA :thumbsup: , 2) Warranty and service are second to none :thumbsup:

If you take the time to look around, you should be able to find a real nice used TC Hawken for around $300 or less. Both of mine were bought for less than $250. TC is the best company ever to do bussiness with. No other company will repair 30 year old products at no expense to you even when you are not the orginal owner. Since TC rifles are made in the USA, also a nice thing.

I've got both the Cabela's and T/C Hawkens. The T/C has nicer wood but the Cabela's shoots better...a lot better.

Both of my TC Hawkens and my friends all shoot one hole groups. I'll bet you have not found the best load yet. Some rifles shoot better with conicals and others better with round balls. Made in the USA, backed with the best customer service anywhere, go with the TC!

Latest posts

Back