• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BUYER BEWARE - Mntnhntr is a SCAMMER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think computers have IP addresses.

I think the Mods have access to the IP stuff.

A name can change, but the IP address will remain the same.
IP addresses do change, and using a "proxy" service is very common these days. Although, in this case, cost and sophistication likely negates a proxy service.

This makes me so made I have to rant.
My experience buying from people on this forum have been extremely positive, and I prefer it to, say, the eBay of firearms. With the closing of most mom and pop stores it's difficult to find those rare items nerds like me are interested in without using the internet.
If the US can afford to send billions $$ in 'aid' to foreign countries it can do something about mail and internet fraud. There are office buildings in India full of people sitting at computer terminals scamming old ladies like my mother out of tens of thousands of dollars every minute of every day. My identity was stolen twice, once, I think, by a clerk in a hotel I checked into (you have to show them your ID). It was used to rent a car that wasn't returned. The police caught the guy, and let him go, let him drive off in the car! It took years and a private investigator to clear my name. I once had to hire a lawyer on the other side of the country to get money for a sale I made to a LAWYER there. Before hiring my lawyer I talked to her boss in the law firm where she worked, and his attitude was "sucks to be you."

I'm not saying that's the same person, but under the religious views of that link it says.

"We know that John's political affiliation is currently a registered Republican Party; ethnicity is Caucasian; and religious views are listed as Wiccan/Pagan/Druid."

What?? 🤣
Those sites are so fraudulently inaccurate you could put the Pope's name in there and he'd come back a Lutheran.

Xenforo uses IP tracking and browser fingerprinting to identify users.

Anyone with a small amount of technical knowledge will know how to alter both of those things, and create a new account. I'm not even going to hint about how, but it is extremely easy.

I'm sure there's some great guys on here who are legitimately trying to make a sale, but the way payment is done on this site, I would never order anything from anyone, except maybe that guy who sells lead.

Just be glad they're not listing pronouns...
I think the pronouns in this case would be "fraudster" and "liar", assuming that the gentleman in that post is indeed the person we are talking about.

Seriously though guys, be careful before you start doxing people or making serious accusations. There was a guy who lived in the same town I did, with the exact same name, who was born one year apart from me, the only difference is he was a registered sex offender and I wasn't. When people googled my name, he was the first person that came up.

Make sure you confirm your information 100% before we go all "lynch mob" on this guy.

Call & talk. Limit purchases to an amount you can afford to lose unless after speaking with the actual person, you trust them. "Small talk" is a good way to determine if I want to send an individual my money.

I've "met" several stand-up good guys on here that I've done a bit of business with. From a law enforcement standpoint, local agencies acting alone on a single scam case of a couple hundred dollars aren't likely to happen unless the suspect is located nearby. To have criminal charges filed by a prosecutor, the investigator has to have a real person - living, identifiable by some physical means to get the ball rolling. Best find an agency that works internet fraud as its primary function to expect a good outcome.

Go back and reread my comment. The part where the number doesn't come up with any information.I have a NY number ,big deal . I know people have numbers from all over. FMR

My post wasn't aimed at you personally. Was just clarifying that fact for the benefit of members who may not realize it.

I have a cell number that I've used for over 20 years. It's personal and business. it was readily available on the net on my business website for for 14 years. When I do a search on it I find nothing. Probably would if I paid one of the many sites that pop up telling me that they can provide information but I'm not going to do that.

Excellent point
I’m a mod on a different forum, and our software will flag new members who share an IP address or email with another account. We’ve only had a few instances where someone has tried to create an alternate username, and we slapped their hand and told them if they did it again they would be banned. They were known pot stirrers who were likely trying to create conflict. Regardless, it straightened them up.

I think a message from a mod would be in order to see if they can get the other side of the story. If they don’t respond or refuse to make good on their arrangement I would be getting rid of them. However, this isn’t my forum, and I think the mods here do a fine job of managing the group.

.... From a law enforcement standpoint, local agencies acting alone on a single scam case of a couple hundred dollars aren't likely to happen unless the suspect is located nearby. To have criminal charges filed by a prosecutor, the investigator has to have a real person - living, identifiable by some physical means to get the ball rolling. Best find an agency that works internet fraud as its primary function to expect a good outcome.
Yeah, I hate to say it, but for a few hundred dollars they're not about to get a multi-jurisdictional investigation started. If it was all done locally, you could probably get the local police to handle it, but because it crosses state lines, they would have to be quite a lot of moving parts to prosecute. It's not even a legal "firearm" anyway, so the ATF wouldn't care about a stolen hunk of metal.

Sending a pair of detectives to the location that the scammer is would probably cost more than you got scammed out of.

It's an unfortunate situation, and it's happened to me before as well so I 100% feel your pain. My advice would be to write this off as a loss and lesson, and try not to lose sleep over it.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and that the FBI crashes down on this a-hole with everything they've got though.

I’m a mod on a different forum, and our software will flag new members who share an IP address or email with another account. We’ve only had a few instances where someone has tried to create an alternate username, and we slapped their hand and told them if they did it again they would be banned. They were known pot stirrers who were likely trying to create conflict. Regardless, it straightened them up.

I think a message from a mod would be in order to see if they can get the other side of the story. If they don’t respond or refuse to make good on their arrangement I would be getting rid of them. However, this isn’t my forum, and I think the mods here do a fine job of managing the group.

We are checking things out. And we don't say what we are doing in the open until afterwards.
And if a person is banned, and comes back it shows. Usually, it can be beaten if necessary.

We are checking things out. And we don't say what we are doing in the open until afterwards.
And if a person is banned, and comes back it shows. Usually, it can be beaten if necessary.
Same in ours, most don’t know of the behind the scenes work and discussions that happen. Most everything is done to nip problems in the bud before anyone knows that things were going amiss.

I wonder how long it will be before they use artificial intelligence to implement speech / written pattern analyzing. Most people use the same grammatical structure, and wording, regardless of what account they're on. I don't think you could ever make a 100% certain match, but it would be pretty easy to tell if a pot stirrer is back stirring the pot based on language patterns.

I wonder how long it will be before they use artificial intelligence to implement speech / written pattern analyzing. Most people use the same grammatical structure, and wording, regardless of what account they're on. I don't think you could ever make a 100% certain match, but it would be pretty easy to tell if a pot stirrer is back stirring the pot based on language patterns.
On my first forum there was a member that got banned. A bit later someone new sure seemed like him. It was, he admitted it when I pm'd him. He was gone again. We did this about 6 times, it was almost a game. That was with 2002-2010 forum software - VB 3.4 and now all the bells and whistles forum s/w has now. I would recognize him how the posts were and the sarcastic, imp postings. So AI probably could id it to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back