• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buttplate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***Sean***

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some suggestions here. I need to make a buttplate for this gun.
3.jpg

The hard part is that the end of the stock has a curve. Any thoughts on what to make it out of?

Approximately 1/8" steel or brass would work -- thick enough to take the battering that a buttplate often does, but still bendable. Also, given that your stock has a modern appearance to it -- despite obviously having a sidelock -- you might try Brownell's, Numrich, or Dixie Gun Works for hard rubber or metal buttplates as used on cartridge rifles of one sort or another. They generally provide the dimensions of the plates they sell, so you could find one to match (or be ground to match) your stock's profile.

By the way, there's a "Markland barrel" on eBay that was made in Spain -- 33.5" x 7/8", .45 caliber. Markland was yet another of the distributors, like Jukar, CVA, and Traditions, that marketed essentially the same "Kentucky" rifles over the years. If you haven't found a barrel yet for your Jukar, you might take a look.

mongrel said:
Approximately 1/8" steel or brass would work -- thick enough to take the battering that a buttplate often does, but still bendable. Also, given that your stock has a modern appearance to it -- despite obviously having a sidelock -- you might try Brownell's, Numrich, or Dixie Gun Works for hard rubber or metal buttplates as used on cartridge rifles of one sort or another. They generally provide the dimensions of the plates they sell, so you could find one to match (or be ground to match) your stock's profile.

By the way, there's a "Markland barrel" on eBay that was made in Spain -- 33.5" x 7/8", .45 caliber. Markland was yet another of the distributors, like Jukar, CVA, and Traditions, that marketed essentially the same "Kentucky" rifles over the years. If you haven't found a barrel yet for your Jukar, you might take a look.

Thanks mongrel, I might see if I can find a piece of steel. I worked on a piece of wood today. Just couldn’t get the curve right. It’s A older gun. Winchester 69. Bolt action .22
I refinished the stock. I know don’t refinish a old stock brings down the value. I Plan on keeping it while. Ill give it to one of my boys one day. My stock was broke. Plus the buttplate was missing. Funny they have another on one ebay this week complete with buttplate. Bidding up to $124.37 22 hours to go. I picked this one up for 72 and some change.

I looked for the barrel on ebay what was the key words you used for the search? Have a link”¦I cant find it”¦ :confused:

My bad, Sean. Try "Markwell Barrel", not Markland. Teach me to trust what's left of my memory....

By the way, what's being sold is actually a kit -- lock, stock, barrel, the whole nine yards. You might not want to pay as much as you may have to to get it, to end up with an extra stock and lock, plus there's the chance the eBay police will realize that the parts for a complete gun are all there. If they bump it, though, the owner's sure to come right back and part the kit out. Worth a look, anyhow.

I didn't look too close at the stock -- I see now that it's for a "modern" gun, as you pointed out. The washer or whatever it is on the lefthand side threw me -- thought it was for a lock bolt. :redface:

Thanks...Found it Ill watch and see how it goes. Im not sue why you cant sell a complete ML on ebay??? You can get them maill order LOL

That is a factory stock so unless you are just into pain & suffering why not check with [url] www.gunpartscorp.com/[/url] Might get a direct replacment

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't 'cause they say you can't. :haha: All us unwashed heathens and ig'nernt peasants need to know.

***Sean*** said:
That is where the magazine release button go's

Dont kid yourself .. unless the barrel is a no go .. them Win model 69's could pin a squirrels head from quite a distance! Back when things were made of wood, (and before I foolishly sold it) I had one that I put a cheap Bushnell scope on and used to nail 22 boxes at 100 yards with, just see if I could! :grin: Danged accurate it was! You could shoot and almost count before the bullet would hit tha box! Ah them were tha days! :hatsoff:

Davy

sean: While looking for a factory buttplate, you might ask about a replacement buttplate for the model 67 as well. If I recall my search when I was a kid, the only differences between the two stocks was that the Model 69 had a clip, and the side button release. I believe Winchester used the same buttplate on both guns. I may be wrong on this, but I still have my Model 67, and it would be an easy thing to compare if you send the measurements on your stock. There are a lot of Model 67's out there at gun shows, and I think it would be easier to find the buttplate for the single shot rifle, than it may be for the clip-fed model.

paulvallandigham said:
sean: While looking for a factory buttplate, you might ask about a replacement buttplate for the model 67 as well. If I recall my search when I was a kid, the only differences between the two stocks was that the Model 69 had a clip, and the side button release. I believe Winchester used the same buttplate on both guns. I may be wrong on this, but I still have my Model 67, and it would be an easy thing to compare if you send the measurements on your stock. There are a lot of Model 67's out there at gun shows, and I think it would be easier to find the buttplate for the single shot rifle, than it may be for the clip-fed model.

I already ordered it. It was in stock. Also ordered the screws.

I was watching a auction on ebay...Just like the stock I got for 72 and some change. It came with a buttplate...plus some hardware. Sold for just over 200
68544df1.gif
oogle.gif

Back