• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

butt plate tang / return question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
good morning. i have a question re butt plate attachment.
i have a TOW fowler style butt plate, iron, the TOW plate does not have the lug on the tang that secures the front of the return to the stock.
i don't really want to use the MIG to weld one on, but it may be the only way. I don't want a visible screw in the return.
Would this sort of thing have been attached by,
a mortised through the hardware and then riveted over to hold it ? this will be visible.
or
would it have been soldered?
or
maybe by mortise and then solder ?

what have you done?

thanks
ou
tom

I would suggest silver solder rather than low-temp, (if you're going to go that route) because it's a potential higher stress area.

this is what i did after considerable contemplation. i figured in the old days if something like this needed to be added it would have been riveted.
i made the lug with a square tenon and filed the mortise into the return, fitted it then riveted it in place then filed it smooth.
thanks
ou
tom

IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4334 (1).JPG

Hi,
That is a good way to do it. This is something I do all the time because so many modern fowler butt plates are cast incorrectly without a lug for the return. All of these butt plates were treated in the same way.

Kl8eHkq.jpg

IcHEW3S.jpg

hMoO9Uw.jpg

QSFsKSR.jpg

The only difference is rather than a square post, I drill a hole and create a round threaded post on the lug. I screw it in place and the silver solder it, and peen over the outside. Here is an example of doing this for a pistol trigger guard:
bFjF9js.jpg

WU610vw.jpg

gqFzwdW.jpg

HDvvSqV.jpg

dave

Hi,
That is a good way to do it. This is something I do all the time because so many modern fowler butt plates are cast incorrectly without a lug for the return. All of these butt plates were treated in the same way.

dave

wow!! I made a good choice, that doesn't always happen. awsum.
I really appreciate the help you provide to us on the forum.
thanks Dave

i have seen that one before and that method, but had decided on the pin method. i think a lot of gun parts were pinned instead of screws, i am think that was because screws were probably harder to acquire or make but that is just a guess.

thanks
ou
tom

Hi,
For British style butt plates, the convention was to use two screws, one in the heel and one in the toe, and then either a lug and pin or a hook and screw inlet in the mortice to anchor the tang. That way there was no screw showing on the tang to interfere with engraving and disrupt the smooth surface of the tang. In the British trade, I don't think there was any concern for the cost or supply of screws.

dave

Hi,
For British style butt plates, the convention was to use two screws, one in the heel and one in the toe, and then either a lug and pin or a hook and screw inlet in the mortice to anchor the tang. That way there was no screw showing on the tang to interfere with engraving and disrupt the smooth surface of the tang. In the British trade, I don't think there was any concern for the cost or supply of screws.
dave

the unsightly screws were the issue. i guess the same reason for other hardware to be pinned or locked into a hidden retainers. now a days it just seems that a screw is easy and good enough to hold something on, but it is not pleasing to the eye.

thanks
ou
tom

An invisible alternative is to put a screw in the inlet under the lug. The lug is then undercut forming a wedge that hooks under the screw head.

Back