• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

butt fodder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tenngun, sorry to say, you don't have all the facts. The problem with crapping in the river besides all the bacteria that you let loose there is that is how Giardia is spread. They call it Beaver Fever because Beavers are carriers of it and it has spread into almost all rivers, ponds, and streams across the country.

If you contract Giardia on a trek by drinking water from a river or pond that someone or something has crapped in, you won't even know you have Giardia for 1 to 3 weeks. Meantime, you are happily spreading the parasite every time you manure. So, dig yourself a shallow hole (8" or less)or just cover up your business with some rocks, but get the hell out of our streams when you take a manure!

If you've ever seen anyone with Giardiasis, you will understand while I'm adamant about it. My brother came down with it while backpacking in the High Sierra and you really don't want what he had.

So have a little consideration for your fellow outdoorsmen and women. Also, be aware that Giardia can live for months out of the water, so take your business a good ways away from it.

Here's a link to some good info the CDC has about Giardia:

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/general-info.html

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

My "basic kit" for such usage comes from what I used in Somalia - one of the most disease/pestilence riddled places on the planet.

I carry some unscented Baby Wipes in one small plastic bag and a small roll of TP in another. One to clean the other to finish the job. Add three or four individually packed handy wipes to clean blood, etc. off your hands. Have one extra plastic bag to put the "used" items in to take out of the woods and properly dispose later on.

Gus

twisted_1in66 said:
Tenngun, sorry to say, you don't have all the facts. The problem with crapping in the river besides all the bacteria that you let loose there is that is how Giardia is spread. They call it Beaver Fever because Beavers are carriers of it and it has spread into almost all rivers, ponds, and streams across the country.

If you contract Giardia on a trek by drinking water from a river or pond that someone or something has crapped in, you won't even know you have Giardia for 1 to 3 weeks. Meantime, you are happily spreading the parasite every time you manure. So, dig yourself a shallow hole (8" or less)or just cover up your business with some rocks, but get the hell out of our streams when you take a manure!

If you've ever seen anyone with Giardiasis, you will understand while I'm adamant about it. My brother came down with it while backpacking in the High Sierra and you really don't want what he had.

So have a little consideration for your fellow outdoorsmen and women. Also, be aware that Giardia can live for months out of the water, so take your business a good ways away from it.

Here's a link to some good info the CDC has about Giardia:

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/general-info.html

Dan

Dan 1st let me say I have never stood mid stream and gone to the bathroom, tip a log & dig a cat hole :idunno:

That said, I have a hard time seeing how Tenngun will make the difference when those 3 raccoon didn't, or the bear & her cubs, the 27 mule deer, 5 elk, 4 beaver, 18 muskrat, and a vole all of whom every day happily drink from the same drainage as Tenngun and "go" where ever and when ever, including in the water.

They do however explain why I boil my water :haha:

I could never understand some things about "human nature". Why would folks bury their dead up on Boot Hill, and then build the town at the hill's base?? Maybe something to do with always wanting to add flavor to our drinking water? :hmm: :shocked2:

I read an account by a British SAS trooper who said that he didn't take TP on his missions. Claimed that if you squatted, you didn't need to wipe!

A caveat: a lot of his missions were solo.

Now, I hope I didn't "mess up", and that this is posted under "Butt Fodder", and NOT under "Favorite Tobacco". :shocked2:

Grumpa said:
I read an account by a British SAS trooper who said that he didn't take TP on his missions. Claimed that if you squatted, you didn't need to wipe!

Now, I hope I didn't "mess up", and that this is posted under "Butt Fodder", and NOT under "Favorite Tobacco". :shocked2:

Granted, nobody was willing to check! :surrender: :rotf:

Grumpa said:

That man was in need of more fiber in his diet.

I think you misunderstood . I said it wasn't a good idea. But deer, bears fish ect all poop in water. The extra from a 200 lbs man will have no more effect on the general environment then any think else in the woods. We should have enough sense not to, but the number of bugs in the water won't change because someone did something stupid. Don't use water as a toilet in the woods.

The neck of a goose is regarded as the best TP in the world, but in the wild a modern day mountain man would be expected to shoot the goose first, thereby avoiding holding the biting end of a live goose in close proximity to valuable jewels and the vigorous flapping of wings which gave rise to the term '@ss whupping', to say nothing of the howling of 'animal rights activists' if the procedure lacked privacy! :haha: If you attempt the latter method we would love to hear how it went! :shocked2: Geo.

tenngun said:
I think you misunderstood . I said it wasn't a good idea. But deer, bears fish ect all poop in water. The extra from a 200 lbs man will have no more effect on the general environment then any think else in the woods. We should have enough sense not to, but the number of bugs in the water won't change because someone did something stupid. Don't use water as a toilet in the woods.

I did misunderstand your first post (read it too fast). My apologies for that.

After seeing how sick my brother got, I always use a water filter. If I'm primitive camping I'll boil it and after it cools a bit pour it back and forth between a couple of glasses to aerate it a bit. Boiled water always taste flat to me (flat water :shocked2:). Pouring it back and forth puts some of the oxygen back into it and seems to taste better to me. Of course, that could be because I am anticipating how good it will be once I've finished pouring it back and forth :grin:

Dan

When I had Giardia, I recall saying: "Either take me or make me well." And either was a perfectly fine option.
Giardia forms a protective resting stage in the water and can sit there for years just waiting for that warm body to ingest it.
A carrier can have 300 million Giardia in a single stool! That can make quite a contribution to the stream life forms.
Somewhere between 3 and 14% of healthy people are carriers, with an average around 7%.
Then there is Cryptosporidium, amoebic dysentery, bacterial dysentary, typhoid, para-typhoid, and more delightful pathogens.
That said, I am a TP wipe kind of guy. I carry TP for the prime duties and a wet-wipe for the final cleaning.
Ron

OK, I'm going to say it. Said I wasn't but I just have to give you some further info on backpacking in the high-country above 10,000 feet. When you get above the tree line, there is less and less natural bacteria to break down excrement (nice wording heh?). In some areas such as Mt. Ranier, Mt. Shasta, etc., you pick up a bag with cat litter in it and you drop it off in the disposal container after you come back down. You can not get a permit to hike above that elevation without taking a bag with you.

NOW, in other places such as all along the Sierra and the Rockies where you have 14,000 ft. peaks and very little traffic, the "correct" way to take care of your business at those elevations is to do it on rocks and smear it thin so it can dry out and blow away. I can't confess to doing that myself, but ask any Western US backpacker who likes to "bag peaks" and he'll confirm it.

East of the Mississippi the highest mountain is only 6,000 feet (in New Hampshire) so lack of bacteria to break it down into plant nutrients isn't a problem. No smear-tactics necessary.

Dan

I carry water pills, and dig a cat hole. Above 10000 feet is a whole mother world, with O2 problems on oneside and most being in NP or monuments keep it a hard place to go hc trekking. I've not been that high since I was a teenager. I can see some sort of brain tanned kitty litter bag and linen wrapped O2 or epi pen carrier.

Use whatever your trekking partners leave laying around, you can always ask, what the heck did you sit on now.

remember the old saying IF IT HAS LEAVES OF THREE LEAVE IT BEEEE!!!!- POISION IVY!!! OUCH, now that is some scratching !!!

Back