• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BULLHEADS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe not Walleye, Bass, Perch, Trout or other Salmon, but there aint nothin wrong with a bunch of Bullheads! This member of the Catfish family is often regarded as trash fish, but out of good clean waters their great and make you want some more! My tribe heads north just about every Spring to Minnesota for the Walleye opener and to add to the trip and after the Wallies are filleted. We usually catch a whole buch of big Bullys to bring home, after we fry some there of course!

Recipe: Clean and skin Bullheads (bone in).
Score by making slits along length of
fish on both sides.
Salt/Pepper fish on both sides.
Coat in favorite breading mix or
cornmeal/flour coating.
Drop carefully in hot cooking oil
till crispy golden brown.
Take out and drain on paper towels.
Eat with fried tatters and slaw!
Wash down with a brewski or five!

Damn! :redface: Makin' myself hungry just typing this...how about you!

That's what we grew up cathcing, we found that if we pulled up old tires from the creek that each one would have a bullhead or two and some crawdads in side.

nothin better than a big mess of fried yella-bellies and some cornbread :thumbsup:

Well as for me I have never been able figure out weather drinking leads to night fishing for Bull Heads or if night fishing for Bull Heads leads to drinking but the two just seem to go togeather.

As kids we'd go swimming and pull up a mess of freshwater mussels then crack 'em open and use 'em as bait for bullheads.

Bullheads were some fine eating.

I was one of those who considered bullheads just the same as carp, fish to be thrown away. Then in 1965 I was driving truck through Missouri and asked at a gas station ( Yea, lots of commerical trucks were gas back then )why they had so many signs at the resturants about their "mountain catfish dinners" . The attendant asked me;" if I had ever had mountain catfish ?" He talked me into trying some and I was amazed at how good catfish from clean water can be.

Ahhh. Bullhead. Here's THE ADMIRAL (aka Mrs. Stumpy) before she was Mrs. Stumpy with a stringer of bullhead. Me Grampy taught me to chose a wife what can clean fish. ;-)

Bullhead.jpg

Bullheads were our favorite growing up. Grandma would send my brother and I out to catch a mess. Maybe just to get rid of us, but probably a dual mission. Black at a place still called "Cutler's Ice Pond" back then or brown bullheads in the Susquehanna.

Now, I gotta say, I do like catching a mess of perch (I use Mr. Twister 1-1/2" Teeny Jigs). Filleting them and steaming them. Allowing them to cool and then serving them like shrimp with cocktail sauce. Mmmmmmmm.

Cayuga Shrimp, we call them.

Nice Catch :wink: I can't think the last time I reeled in a bullhead, my kids and I catch cats from time to time but a lot of lakes have done away with them it seems they drain the lakes every so many decades and do away with certan species. I will have to go to the river and catch a mess with the kids.

Stumpy,
From a Sam Elliot movie, "You have a fine
looking women there,Stump!"
Honestly,as far as I know I have never eaten
bullhead,but many,many channel cats and some
carp if out of clean water. Always fillet the
carp. I usually just skin the catfish and cook
whole,with head and tail removed.
A little Cajun seasoning on both don't hurt when
fried up in butter and garlic and pepper.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Stumpy,

You are quite the fortunate man. You have a beautiful Mrs. Stumpy and she isn't afraid to go fishing with you. Good on ya!

Next time, let her show the fish she caught, not the ones you caught. :wink:

I've caught those bullheads while fishing for walleye in Minnesota too. Even while trolling. They look differnent here but probably taste just as good. For some odd reason you can catch bullheads while its snowing sometimes. Found this out by accident one time. Used to fish for Yellow Bellies in the heat of summer here in Indiana. What was strange to me was the fact that "snakes" as they called them (pike) were thrown back and considered trash fish by the fishermen I was with up north. I spoke to a native there at Lake Winnebigoshish and he told me that he pickled them. I cleaned and ate the ones I caught and they were real good. Did not try pickling them but that way you wouldn't have to worry about bones as much.

I love eating all catfish...especially cajun seasoned....mmmmmmm! :thumbsup:

I used to have a picture of my Grandpa Brock holding a stringer that must of had twenty yellow bellies on it. He would skin everyone that us boys could catch. I never met anyone since that was as crazy for bullhead as he was. I am sorta the same way with perch though. MMMMM..... perch.

snake-eyes said:
Anybody had them smoked???:hmm:
snake-eyes

Snake eyes, Are you talking about Bullheads? I tried to cold smoke them once, but really shrunked-up to jerky tough! Cold smoked about every other kind of fish and even eel!

Back