• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bullet lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody fill the hollow base on their minie bullet with lube and does it help on base expansion? Thanks for your answer, Hank

I don't shoot em much anymore....for large big game (elk) when I have and I did NOT as I didn't want the lube contaminating the powder whilst I sat or stalked all day looking for a reason to unload! I suppose an over powder wad would eliminate this concern?

I checked the speed on a few shots, and filling the base adds about 50fps from my T/C Greyhawk using 80gr of Goex 3F. I used Crisco.

Because the evaluation was for an elk hunt, I also checked the difference with a .50cal over powder card/.510. The card had no effect when used with a Crisco filled base. The main reason I used the card, was the gun was to remain loaded for several days, and I didn't want a poof when I pulled the trigger.

Not sure it worked better, but I felt better.

I don't shoot a lot of minies, plains bullets etc but a good number of years back I read (probably in the Lyman blackpowder manual) that putting a dab of lube on the base was beneficial.

Since I didn't know the difference I have always added a bit to the base.

Can't tell you if it did anything positive or not, but it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

I have done same as spikebuck and not lubed inside bottom of mini-ball or GP conicals as I don't want to contaminate powder. Now I have done it when I use over powder felt wads soaked with wonder lube 1000, but wads are lightly greased as to not contaminate the powder charge under and then I use lube under conical. I haven't done the chronograph yet on that recipe, but will soon and see if there is any difference in shooting.

Back