• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Builder named Der Katz?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently made a trade for a older custom .58 flintlock. Was going to just flip it but it shoots so well ( and goes off better then most) that I'm going to keep it. All I know is the gun was made in Lancaster Co. in the 70s. No markings on the backside of the barrel as of who made it, but on the top is carved "Der Katz" I searched it and have come up empty. The back of the lock is stamped Dave Motto who I did find info on about his locks and what not. It's a very well put together gun, very clean and flush cuts on the patch box and any inlays. I guess my question is, does anyone know of a builder of Der Katz??

I know I know and I agree!! I'm going to try again and relook up how to do it, iv been having trouble with uploading photos.

Hey now that's an idea! Iv been stumped on this one since I got the rifle. And trust me I spent the better part of the afternoon trying to upload pictures but photobucket wants money now to view 3rd party photos or something I don't know I can't seem em is what it comes down to when I do get them uploaded. I'm going to try another site soon.

Any one have any real information on Dave Motto?? Like I mentioned that is what is stamped on the back of the Lock. I read he did some building but I didn't get that much info

To add photos from your Flickr account into your post:

Select your picture on Flickr. The picture will appear in a larger black rectangle. At the bottom right corner of that rectangle is a "Share" icon - it looks like a curving arrow pointing to the upper right. Click on that icon to display the share box. At the top of the share box click on the BBCode. Copy and paste the BBC into your post.

Note: Pasting the entire BBCode will add some identifying text with your posted picture. If you want to eliminate that text, delete those parts of the BBCode that appear before the after the IMG code (i.e. before
before clicking on the Submit button for your post. You can also select the size of the picture to appear in your post.

Here's one from my Flickr account using the "Large 1024 x 278" size option.

Without deleting the stuff before and after the
codes.

A by Van Lopez, on Flickr

After deleting the stuff before and after those codes.

35420708311_c2eae2eba0_b.jpg

Here's the same picture using the "Medium 800 x 217" size option.

A by Van Lopez, on Flickr

it's a beautiful gun whoever made it!

and Semisane, those are nice too.

Thank you! It sure can shoot too! Accurate and goes off like a rocket every time. Super happy about the find just was seeing if I could find anything out about it

I think Ron LaClaire a.k.a.long hunter here in Mich. can fill you in on Mr. Motto as they do Knives etc. togather.
Hermit

With no other markings, I am thinking that it might be the original owner who used the name "Der Katz", (the cat). Although a signature on the top flat is usually the signature of the builder.

Der Katz was the guy who owned the work shop's actual Cats.
All you fellas who have posted pictures of your cats watching your rifle builds has lead to an unthinkable situation where our feline friends have taken to building rifles. It is a bit of a mercy that they can not shoot them as they are well know serial killers. At least these cats have good taste in rifles.

Hahah! Even if I never find out who made the gun the cat story will be as goood as any to tell!! And as for markings there are non, other then D Motto stamped on the back of the lock. I do appreciate you guys trying to help out with this, I knew it was a long shot but figured I would see what y'all had to say about it

For you German language experts.....Der Katz is the masculine form of "the Cat so does it mean "the Tomcat"?

Die Katze is the feminine form of "the Cat" in German......Fred

Paul Kurtz lives not far from Mifflinburg , used to build a few rifles back in the 80's .
It may be one of his .. but I'm only assuming .
Where in PA do you live ??

Allen Martin .

Back