• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buggy Rifle Sight In

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My first rifle that I ever built was a H@A Buggy with a 20" Montana 36 cal. After my old can of 3F ran out, the groups opened up with the new can of Goex 3F.........and the ole barrel was forgotten.

I put a receiver sight and peep on the barrel and sighted her back in. Well she looks promising, three shots in a line, all touching and the patches look good. [last group]

At 8:40 the light was getting a bit low, but still happy with the group. I was using a 357 mag case for the measure, need to find my 38 special case and compare groups. I was using a .355 ball and a ..010 prelubed patch.

My first group was shot with a dark yellow .010 pre-lubed patch and the groups were big..........changed to a lighter colored patch [still .010] and the groups shrunk........Boy I wish I could remember what they were, and it's only been 20 years.

A little more fine tuning on the windage and the Tree Rats Beware!

pleasure to hear from another underhammer man. i've got a .45 and a .50, the .45 is a heritage model and it a tack driver. have not shot the .50 yet. it's a short barreled buggy rifle. still looking for a factory hooded front sight and a factory tang sight for the .45 installed a williams peep sight on the receiver, sure helps the sight picture. wack some squirrels with that .36 - good luck with it!

I tried Graf 3/Fg in my Numrich, but had to wipe after every shot. Not so bad when shootin' at paper, but worrysome when chasin' pasture grizz. 777 didn't work at all, and I've yet to try Pyrodox P. I will git a round tuit. :crackup:

The smallest load that I have shot in many years is 90 grains of FFF and a 370 maxi-ball, when this little pip squeek went off, I thought I forgot the ball. But there was a hole in the target......yes it is a joy to shoot!

I finally realized that I have a Numrich .45 buggy rifle. It belonged to the father of the owner of Flintlocks, Etc...
the Pedersoli distributor in Richmond, MA & I bought it for my oldest son to shoot when he was younger. It doesn't really like anything but .433 balls and .018 pillow ticking. I like to shoot bowling pins and paper plates with it at 25 yards, but much beyond that is a crapshoot. Sure is fun though. ::

36-25-.010beeswax.jpg

The top shot was the first, clean barrel, even loaded hard. The next five are good for windage, jusy a little 'pilot error' on the up and down. I was using a 6 O'clock hold, just trying to keep a little white under the bull.

.355 ball with a .010 dry patch and 25 grains of T7 3F. The dry patch brung the group together, go figure!

Buggy-globe.jpg

My new globe front, with a turned down brass screw for the post, about .080 diameter. Might make it smaller, might not.

Buggy-peep.jpg

Browned my receiver sight, the Buggy is done and ready to kill 'tree rats'

I just cast up some .360 balls from my Lee mold. About a cup full. I will try and shoot some tomorrow. That short little 20" Barrel is fussy on how you look down it.

Back