buck and ball in a rifled barrel?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

deerstalkert

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
got to thinking after watching a movie that must have had a 500.00 budget that i have never shot a buck and ball load.
are they limited to smooth bores or will they work in a 54 rifle. thanks.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
I wouldn't shoot them out of a rifled barrel. No advantage, but several disadvantages.

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
The rotation of the load imparted by the rifling will cause the buck to open up in pattern. Similar to the extreme patterns seen when firing shot from a rifled bore.

F.G. Ford

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The advantage of shooting a buck and ball load was into a group of soldiers standing fairly close to one another.
The patched round ball would travel fairly accurate, where as the buck shot would travel in a scattered formation causing harm to any body near by with a remote chance of causing a serious wound.
In a rifled bore it is a waste of lead and time, and ethically hunting it is unwanted.
Fred

hawkeye2

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Also illegal during the primitive hunting season in a lot of states. It could cause leading of the bore too.

deerstalkert

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
any anecdotal accounts of having tried it? all the answers above are great and what i expect, just wondering what the physics in the bore would be like.
its raining like Noahs promise here today and i'm bored.