• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Pletcher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
At a local gun shop I ran across a used Browning Hawken - you know the gun - .50, single set trigger, ram's horn on the bolster. It was in very nice condition. The price was $850. My first thought was that the price was too high.

I haven't seen one in a while. Maybe that wasn't too bad. Your thoughts??

Regards,
Pletch

I have owned one for many years. The Browning HQ is just down the Mtn, from me. Those rifles sold for a little of nothing during the 1980s when they were dropped from the Browning line.

If you want a shooter, I would buy some thing else. If you want it for a Browning collection it still sounds a bit high to me.

It is your money so if you buy it to shoot use a very thick patch and ball combo. most of these things need a .495 ball with a .024 patch to shoot at all. I had the funcky crown removed by cutting the barrel back 2" and using a better crown that did help. The stock channel was week and the breech hook did not fit. I had it glassed that helped.

Browing must of used a number of different barrels as the sales failed. It as Forest Gump says about the candy you just don't know what you are going to get.

These guns were sold off cheap. I think every one around here owned one. Most were traded off or sold.

For that kind of money I would look at a TVM rifle or a cheaper Lyman Plains rifle. If its a shooter you want. Browning has no parts or repair for these things, so you are on your own. All the parts were actioned off 10 years ago in Ogden, Ut. for scrap prices.

Thanks Redwing,
I'm not interested in the gun as a shooter or collector. I was surprised at the price. I usually check this guy out for "deals" but this one wasn't it. I am normally a flint shooter so I'll just hang on for something different to come by.

Regards,
Pletch

Seen them go for 500 and guys go nuts for 1000 or more for the 54s, sounds highto me. Fred :hatsoff:

I've owned a 54 Browning for several years and killed a number of deer with it. I have found that it is quite accurate with the right loads. I wouldn't agree that the price is out of line as that is low for the ones I have seen sold around my area. The Cabelas in Rodgers had one that was over $1200 a while back and it sold. I don't think that for the money it is the best deal out there by a long shot, but people seem to pay good money for them. I would personally put your $800 into a semi custom or used gun, you'll get more for it that way.

Had a .50 cal.Browning MR which was used by me for only one elk hunting trip and then was used by my son for one trip. He didn't like it either so it was sold. It was heavy, poorly balanced and the sights didn't align w/o a lot of "fussin" for both my son and myself. It was accurate and well made for a factory gun but just didn't lay in there because of the comb drop, wrist shape and imbalance. To us, it wasn't "user friendly".Some might have a different opinion judging from the prices these guns sell for.....Fred

Seems to me that when people see the name Browning they jack up the price about $200 over what a similar rifle would cost.

I know I sure wouldn't pay $850 for a used one of their Mountain Rifles (or even a new one still in the box).

:bull: Way too high!! nice looking but I could never attain a sight picture quickly because of the stock. don't get caught up by the Browning name you could buy yourself a nice used custom for that price.

I bought a new Browning Hawken in 1978, bought a second one a few years latter. Then about 5 years ago found one new in the box bought that one to. I have to agree that the price that they go for to day is high.Are they worth it, all I know is that I would not sell any of the one,s I own. As far shooting they are one of the best I've seen, tryed a bunch always came back to the Browning. Before you blow this post off I would like to say that I have shot competitivly for over 35 years.Very few guns have beat the Browning on the line Custom or other wise.
Thanks A Shooter from NE Nebr

I'm glad that you had good luck with yours. I really liked the way mine looked, and the workmanship seemd nice.

I have owned and sad say still own one of these rifles. I have never been to an event where one of these rifles ever cleaned up.

I think Zonie is right the name Browning holds some magic to some folks. If its Browning and it sells it will be built in Japan. If it does not sell and is failure it will be dropped from the line. J. Browning Mtn. Rifles had a short life at Morgan, Utah. Enough said. :cursing:

These rifles were called Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles and were supposed to be copies of a rifle made by John Browning's father. They weren't Hawkens and were never called such, though they had the same intended use. A Hawken is a rifle unto its own self--not to be confused with anything else, for only in a true Hawken can sublime perfection be found. This is carved in stone in a lonely pass high in the Rockies---the location of which is now lost forever in the mists of time.......

Well it was found in Nov.of 1994. It wasn't real high up though only about 6,000'. Turns out it wasn't mist either. It was smoke from a trash fire on the Wind River Indian Rez.
But the message was there OK. "The Hawken Rifle was every where in the West". It was even signed [MGM Hollywood, Ca. 1939].

It wasn't signed by John Wayne in 1842? Or Kilroy at a slightly later date? I'm greatly disappointed.

Back