• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning an already blued rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi All,

I tried to search to see if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything. I have a TC Hawken rifle that I'm refinishing. I would like to change the finish from blued to Brown. Is it possible? Do I need to remove the bluing first? Can anyone list out the process?

Thanks!

I just did the same thing, and I removed the blue just to be sure it wasn't an issue. Came out just fine. I used a file then 220 sand paper. Much easier than filing a new barrel.

Naval jelly and 0000 steel wool, paint the naval jelly on, let it sit til almost dry then hit it with the steel wool, melts right off, if it's too dry hit it again with the jelly, then use some acetone, or lacquer thinner or my favorite chlorinated brake cleaner to prep it for brown, have done this over a dozen times, keep your uncovered hands and fingers off the barrel after clean!

Try the browning solution on the underside of the barrel without removing the bluing. See how that works out for you.

Here's a commercial cleaning product you may already have - CLR (calcium, lime and rust). I've used it to remove carbon buildup in centerfire rifles. It will also remove blueing very effectively without harming the metal. I found this out the hard way.

Back