• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browned barrel touchup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyBear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy Howdy Howdy

I have a T/C Hawken built from a kit in the early 80s. Had a gunsmith do the brown job on the barrel. I have very minimal knowledge of browning techniques. Anyway, it's a percussion and the browning has worn off around the nipple some. Can I get some of the cold browning solutions out there and touch this up and have any hope of matching what's there?

Thanks.

In this case, thoroughly degrease a larger area than the area you intend to brown and buy some Laurel Moumtain Forge Brown and Degreaser {LMF}. W/ a small, damp patch, wet the intended area, but don't rub. The matte finish and color on the rest of the barrel would determine how long each coat should sit before carding and how many coats should be applied. Personally, I'd just leave it ......normal wear and aging....Fred

Truthfully I haven't decided to patch it up but I thought I'd at least ask if it could be matched.

Thanks!

If it were mine, I would pull the barrel, clean it down real good, then re-brown the whole thing with LMF. That way I would get a consistent job and not have it looked patched. Just what I would do. It isnt any harder to rebrown the whole barrel than it is to patch it.

I'm with Bountyhunter on that. I'd just rebrown the entire barrel. Browning isn't that hard to do, and the LMF browning solution makes it pretty foolproof. It would be a nice even finish that way.

I would live with it. It is just part of using the gun. Many people go to great lengths to obtain that used look.

If not, then I would try to patch it in since that is a pretty minimal process and you risk nothing by trying it. If you do not like the result, then you either use the gun and it blasts the finish in that area again or you can reblue the whole barrel as has been suggested.

But then, I am pretty lazy.

CS

Im new at this gun building deal, but have used the birchwood casey plum brown, with hheat and that is a PITA. the second rifle and pistol I built i used the laurel mountain forge as refered to above. That is about as idiot proof as you can get. very simple, and leaves a very nice brown when finished.

I would have to say it depends on what it was browned with in the first place. If it was hot browned with Birchwood Casey then I would try that first. It may not match 100% but in this small area it should not be noticable and should still come out pretty close. I have not had good success using a cold brown solution to try and match the color and texture of a hot brown when doing a patch job. On the other hand I have enjoyed great success in matching color and texture of various cold browns. Now I admit I have only done about 12 guns now so my sample size is rather limited. On the other hand I have "patched" the brown on several of those for various reasons.

The best approach may just be to clean it all off and start over if you want the best possible match.

Back