• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all was wondering where to find pictures of original Brown Bess of the 1740-1750 so I can determine what is need to build one or any good books to use on building.I like the one's with the wooden ram rod but I'm just getting into this project and need some help in where to start thanks to all...Pete

Rather than add to the volume on the board, I have posted a picture of my Loyalist Arms First Model Long Land Pattern Bess in the F&I section under the heading "Show me your F&I Gun"

I think my Loyalist Arms Bess could use a little less wood on the stock, otherwise I like it very well.

Thank you all for the replys.I have become a flintier junkie keep the info coming.I have gotten involved in a number of hobbies but this one is all consuming,even worse after my first reenactment!It's all I think about tell me it will get better?...Pete

Petlis,
Just to add more chaos to your reenacting plans (are you doing Crown regulars or New York militia?) in Sleepy Hollow land, here's a period piece that's worth asking about - although I've not read happy things about Early Rustic Arms' Jaeger.

THE HUDSON VALLEY FOWLER
complete: 875.00 in the white: 775.00 kit: 500.00

1690-1770 Approximate Time frame: One of the distinctive regional patterns in the Dutch-dominated New York Hudson River Valley during the late 17th to early 18th centuries. This particular Fowler is taken from an original pattern available in Shumway's Volume II and is offered to those looking for a correct weapon of choice with strong German or Dutch influence. It offers a plain maple wood stock stained real dark, L&R Queen Ann Lock, mounted in appropriate brass hardware. 46" full round tapered barrel in .50 .54 .62 .75 calibers (due to this gun's length shipping and handling is 45.00 .75 caliber is 25.00 extra)
http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/pricesanddescriptions.htm as

No pics, but if you want to see one and since your in New York State, Fort Ticonderoga has some and I believe West Point Military Museum also has one too. Fort Chambly in Canada has one on display that was carried by the Royal Americans (60th Regiment of Foote).

Hey Story I havn't quite figured it out yet but I think a settler/farmer who will turn to the gun when pushed.I need to do more research on the persona to get it down,but I'm thinking that the Bess would have been a weapon that I would have been able to put my grubby little paws on,I have been looking at the ERA club foot fowler's as well as a Leonard Day dutch trade gun/Fowler's would like to know what the wait on the ERA would be .I know that I could get the dutch Fowler in a short time.I also like the looks of the fussile trying to keep to the area that I'm in and stay to the 1740's -1760's not much happening here in that time but the more I look the more I learn.I have been very happy just trying to figure out the day to day life and making whats needed,It seems that I enjoy the day to day life better then the military history .Will keep going in this direction until I need to change....Pete

Petlis, I believe ERA has about a 14 month waiting list for their finished products. In Kit form I believe considerably less maybe a couple of months but that may have changed. If you've never built a kit before make sure you get someone who has to help. Centermark makes a nice looking french influenced fowling peice and he usually has a few for sale at events. It sounds like for your persona a fowler or first model bess would be the way to go. I've recently purchased a fowling piece from a fellow by the name of Greg Christian and a Virginia smoothrifle by Kent Smith. both of these fellows are fairly new but do good work and very reasonable. If your interested e-mail me at [email protected] and I can get their information to you.

Petlis/Peter,
If it's a Bess, then get a copy of AMERICAN MILITARY SHOULDER ARMS by G.D. Moller ((Univ Press of Colorado, 1993) through interlibrary loan. This has the details on 1,000 Wilson-contract Long Land pattern muskets purchased by the CITY OF NEW YORK (and so marked) in 1755, that were sold to the state in 1758 and used to arm three battalions of New York Provincial Regiment in 1758. They were part of the force attacking the French at Fort Carillion (Ticonderoga).
These were apparently bobbed to Short Land Pattern length and branded N-Y 1 Reg on the buttstock, but ya gotta see the photos.
This might have been the sort of weapon your persona and would be equally appropriate for RevWar.

Back