• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpenjager

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a Pedersoli Brown Bess kit and have a couple of questions on how to finish the stock. What is the best stain and finish to use on the stock? I am looking at using Laurel Mountain Forge’s Walnut stain and Permalyn Sealer and finish or would a Birchwood/Casey walnut stain and tru-oil be fine? Any suggestions or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

I used the walnut stain and then rubbed in boiled linseed oil. Also, on mine, I had to file out the ramrod tailpipe for a smooth fit.

I would imagine the original finish was some kind of hard varnish. I've not found B & C finish to be very durable , although I used it for years. I now use the finish sold by jim Chambers and am pretty satisfied with it.
That walnut stain is a good idea in my opinion.

I don't think they are walnut. They look better dark but most originals seem redish to me. English walnut seems to be fairly red.

Thanks all for your replies.

Swampman said:
I don't think they are walnut. They look better dark but most originals seem redish to me. English walnut seems to be fairly red.

I agree most of the original ones I have seen in Williamsburg have been reddish in color. I would like to get a stain to emulate an original. However, I’m stumped on the type of stain to use.

I'm gonna use "Dangler's Stock Stain Dark Brown" on my Bess and my British Officer's Musket. I'll probably use Minwax Satin Finish Tung Oil to seal them. After years of using linseed oil, I've given up on it. It's possible to get a nice finish with linseed oil, I just don't think it's right for these muskets and it takes too long to dry. Sun light will make it dry faster.

Right, it is walnut, but I remember them saying it's a European variety of walnut. I still used a stain, but you can try just boiled linseed oil.

I finally got the Jap Bess I bought tonight. It appeares to be unfired. The trigger pull is light and smooth. The lock was fit to the barrel perfectly, well tuned, and it sparks like crazy. I need to remove the farby markings and some extra wood along the barrel. This is gonna be an excellent woods gun.

I spent several hours removing excess wood along the barrel and reshaping my musket today. It looks really good. I put some Dangler's Dark Brown Stain on it so I could see if I need to do some more sanding. One of the barrel lugs wasn't attached to the barrel and I'm gonna find someone to solder that back on. This is the second musket I've dissasembled that had a lug loose. One had 2 loose lugs. You might want to check yours.

Latest posts

Back