• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British Table Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what it is, or a "Wall Gun" as I've seen them called.

Washington loved these things, and apparently they could hit a piece of paper at 300 yards.
Never heard of them being used in Rev War enactments! A novelty, anyway! Did Washington really ever mention them? Kudos to the re-enactors for inserting a bit of novelty there!

Never heard of them being used in Rev War enactments! A novelty, anyway! Did Washington really ever mention them? Kudos to the re-enactors for inserting a bit of novelty there!
Years ago the Rifle Shoppe had a Wall Gun kit and they talked about how fond Washington was of his Wall Guns, they were like mobile light artillery.

Here is a cool video of one firing:

This type of firearm has its roots in the hook guns of the late medieval to early modern era. In the 30 years war era (and before), oversized musket would have hooks at the front to stabilize themselves on ramparts and provide longer range fire power. They could almost be viewed as the anti material rifle of their day.

German examples: Double Hackbut on Carriage Mount
German example in German (You can see the similarity to the muskets of the era): Doppelhaken, Suhl um 1630

Guns of this type would remain popular in India and China through the 19th century.

For the flintlock versions, the Rifle Shoppe sells kits, if you are really itching for your own.

VERY impressive. Just LOOK at that RECOIL!

I bet the young lady had a bruised shoulder from it, but — the grin says it all.

I just saw one for the first time at Black Hart Long Guns. I believe Ed said that it was a reproduction, but I could be wrong.

She sure was fumbling it up with trying to get those cartridges dumped. Ugh...
That channel is generally very competent, but a flimsy plastic saw horse was probably not the best mounting system haha.

That does bring up a good point for the general thread. If you had a long barreled rampart/swivel gun mounted on a wall, do you point it at yourself to load...

The long range muskets use a mount that looks like an oar lock. It is removed from the rampart to load.
Hmmm...,

🤔

I was told that the pintle stayed with the wall gun or Amusette, and the gun was lifted out of the mounting hole (where the vertical pin on the pintle rested when firing) , the gun was loaded, and then replaced . IF a support was used at all. Some walls would permit resting the oversized musket on the top edge or top surface.

LD

Here is a cool video of one firing:

This type of firearm has its roots in the hook guns of the late medieval to early modern era. In the 30 years war era (and before), oversized musket would have hooks at the front to stabilize themselves on ramparts and provide longer range fire power. They could almost be viewed as the anti material rifle of their day.

German examples: Double Hackbut on Carriage Mount
German example in German (You can see the similarity to the muskets of the era): Doppelhaken, Suhl um 1630

Guns of this type would remain popular in India and China through the 19th century.

For the flintlock versions, the Rifle Shoppe sells kits, if you are really itching for your own.

In the 19th Century the Chinese Army fielded numerous units armed with this type of two man crewed weapon. It was referred to as a "jingal"

In the 19th Century the Chinese Army fielded numerous units armed with this type of two man crewed weapon. It was referred to as a "jingal"
The bolt action ones look like an elephant gun’s elephant gun. Super neat.

I’ve seen mention that Chinese fortress walls were significantly thicker than European one’s which allowed fortifications and that type of weapon to have a longer life. Looking at Star fort/bastion walls, the argument is not super convincing, but interesting either way.

Back