• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter13

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some help on a research paper. I need primary source material on British muskets and rifle of the early modern history period. I need info on the Brown Bess and the Baker rifle and any other ones in use.

Hi Bill,
Primary sources usually mean original accounts or first-hand descriptions. However, for detailed information start with Howard Blackmore's "British Military Firearms 1650-1850" published by Herbert Jenkins Inc, London. It is out of print but libraries may have copies or check out[url] Abebooks.com[/url] or[url] Alibris.com[/url] for used book sales. Next, get copies on Dewitt Bailey's "Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms 1718-1783" published by Thomas Publications, Gettysburg, PA for information on Brown Besses, and Bailey's "British Military Flintlock Rifles 1740-1840" published by Andrew Mowbray Inc, Lincoln, RI for information on Baker rifles. Both books are still in print and have a tremendous amount of detailed information. The 3 books I mentioned probably contain more information on technical details and history than any other sources other than original British Military records.

dave

Last edited by a moderator:
:bow: Mucho gratzis. I will get the college library to get them on the way by inter-library loan. I may be able to use reprints of the old manual of arms as primary sources for this project.

Bill, I agree with the books that Dave suggested. Here is another that is a verry good sourse for info ( here you will not find the depth of coverage on the specific Guns ( "Bess" & "Baker") but you will find a wealth of info on the guns leading up to them & those contempery to them),
"English Guns & Rifles" by J.N.George Note this book is out of print, but avail.
BTW- I own,shoot, been involved in building,etc "Bakers" they are a very interesting firearm.

Puffer

The Frasier Museum in Louisville has all those guns on display with many variations as well. You couldn't do better than a trip to the museum. I was there on Friday for the first time. I was only able to spend 4 hours and could have spent several days.

The Frasier has a deal with the Tower of London and the top floor is full of armor, swords and guns that are on loan from the Tower.
[url] http://www.frazierarmsmuseum.org/[/url]

Many Klatch

Last edited by a moderator:
Back